Insane bus overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
It was bad, always worse when it's a large vehicle. Report it to the bus company and hopefully they do something about it.

They do have a contact page for complaints,
http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/york/help_contact/contact_us/

That really was terrible. As I've commented on youtube - make as much of a noise about that as you can. Someone driving like that isn't taking their responsibilities seriously enough and needs to be reminded by whatever means necessary. Hopefully you'll find it cathartic as well.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'd be putting in a complaint to the police & the bus company.
And totaly agree with bbbrop's commnet " It's pure chance as to whether a cyclist will be able to maintain control in the face of an overtake like that and the consequences could be dire" ... You are obvioulsy an experienced cyclist, but someone less able may not have been so able to keep upright.

As I have just posted on you tube, that looks like a punishment pass to me; you should have been on the cycle path being restricted to 5mph with more chance of a mishap on broken glass and at least that way if you came down its not their problem, **** :-(

I wonder if the York First Buses ever get to Glasgow; Mags is doing something (along the lines of driver training) with First Edinburgh after he came across it in Glasgow ;-)

Norm

IMO, report it to the bus company. I think the reg number you use in the title is wrong. It looks like the last three characters are XYP, and that's what you say aloud, but you've put KVP in the title.

Bigsharn

Veteran
FirstYork are seeming to get worse towards cyclists at the moment.

After a pass like that I'd be extremely wary of buses, go into primary whenever possible, especially on a road like that where there's enough space for 3 vehicles abrest.

Adasta

A terrible overtake.

I must say though that the other cars (for the most part) gave you lots of room and performed really good ovetakes. Kudos to them.

As an aside, your clip provides a massive aural assault. It almost blew my ears off!

I'd be putting in a complaint to the police & the bus company.
And totaly agree with bbbrop's commnet " It's pure chance as to whether a cyclist will be able to maintain control in the face of an overtake like that and the consequences could be dire" ... You are obvioulsy an experienced cyclist, but someone less able may not have been so able to keep upright.
The shame thing happened to on to me on 15/6/11
https://www.cyclechat.net/

Domestique

Über Member
That was close.
I would call that, amongst other things, a punishment pass. There is a cycle path and you should be on it etc etc.
Report it to the company concerned along with a link to the video, maybe even send a hard copy registered post to the complaints department.

gbb

Legendary Member
I posted the other week re a bus overtake that ended in the driver throwing my bike etc....thats about how close he was to me, probably the same speed although my one didnt close down to the kerb quite so quickly.
Too frikkin close !!!!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
IMO this could be a police issue as it borders on without due care... you had to avoid his potential to collide.

I know that they'll moan about the "cycle path", having used similar here in Southampton I can see several problems with them.. the usual of glass and pedestrians, but one that raises its head is actually being able to get on to the damn thing in the first place. The one by the Novotel hee in Southampton certainly has that problem... its ok if you access it from the Shirley district end, but the other end if you've come off the Millbrook way (eg coming back from the Forest) theres no dropped kerb. :wacko:

I see riders coming down there towards the Ikea every day in this situation -plenty of room for drivers but I'd estimate that only 50% move over and give space.

So yeah, report the guy for it.

just jim

As I have just posted on you tube, that looks like a punishment pass to me; you should have been on the cycle path being restricted to 5mph with more chance of a mishap on broken glass and at least that way if you came down its not their problem, **** :-(

I wonder if the York First Buses ever get to Glasgow; Mags is doing something (along the lines of driver training) with First Edinburgh after he came across it in Glasgow ;-)
" punishment pass": you've put into words what I was thinking....

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Finally got round to drafting my letter:

First Buses​
Donisthorpe Street​
Leeds​
LS10 1PL​
21[sup]st[/sup] June 2011​
Dear Sirs

Incident of dangerous driving by First Bus driver, 1700 16[sup]th[/sup] June​
On 16[sup]th[/sup] June this year, as I cycled north-eastwards along Malton Road in York (A1036), approaching its junction with New Lane, I was overtaken by one of your buses, with fleet number 69375 and registration YJ08 XYP. The front of the bus passed at speed within arm’s reach. This shocked and surprised me, as I knew there was oncoming traffic and I had not expected the bus to attempt an overtake in the face of this traffic in the narrow lane.

The bus then pulled in quickly towards the kerb before it was clear of me, forcing me to do the same to avoid being crushed against the kerb. I was extremely frightened by this behaviour.

I managed to maintain control of my bicycle but not without effort. Had I fallen, it is almost certain that I would have been crushed by the bus’s rear wheels.

There is a cycle lane along this stretch of road, which I had chosen not to use, as I was intending to go straight on at the traffic-light controlled junction with New Lane; the cycle lane provides no facility for doing this. After the incident with the bus, I was so shaken that I aborted this plan and moved onto the cycle path to recover.

There was a video camera running and fitted to my bicycle. You can see the whole incident on YouTube at http://tinyurl.com/63klnss. I have included still frames to show clearly the identity of the bus, and that it is cutting in towards the kerb before completing the overtaking manoeuvre. I will be happy to send you the raw file if this would help you.

This was a highly irresponsible, dangerous and pointless manoeuvre (the bus had to wait at the traffic lights ahead anyway, so gained no time by overtaking me). I was left shaken and scared by the incident. I believe it amounts certainly to driving without due care and attention if not dangerous driving, and for this reason I am copying this letter to the Police Roads Policing Unit.

Please remind the driver concerned of Highway Code Rules 163 and 167. Professional drivers should be well aware of these, but the driver on this occasion chose to ignore them.

I find the incident particularly disappointing because it has been my experience that First drivers in York have been quite courteous and patient in recent years. I hope this incident is an anomaly.

Yours faithfully

c.c Roads Policing Unit

North Yorkshire Police

Newby Whiske

Northallerton

DL7 9HA

Thoughts, comments, anyone? In particular, is there anything I can do to get the Police to take an interest (there's no RoadSafe scheme in N. Yorks as far as I'm awere; thisis all NYP have to say about roads policing. They don't even give a specific contact point for this sort of thing.

Top Bottom