Insects in teeth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I didn't realise before becoming a recumbent rider that I would end up with facefulls of insects - being that much lower down I seem to cycle at optimum insect hovering height.

I'm thinking of wearing a piratical scarf around my face but wonder if it might make me look rather unfriendly (let alone even odder than normal).

Apart from cycling along with my mouth clamped shut, have any of you got any alternative suggestions?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Must say I haven't noticed this - all the insect clouds I recall riding through were a little thicker at head height on an upright.

I have noticed that insects are more of a problem on my 'bent, to the extent that I have been looking at wearing cycling glasses instead of my ordinary specs. My sight is not too bad on a decent sunny day, and would permit this. I reckon that the head height has little to do with it - my theory is that the little blighters are deflected straight into my face by my lithe, athletic shape. That last sentence needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt, but it's what I tell myself.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Catrike UK said:
Me neither, maybe the Essex posse rides around with cow patts on their racks.
Maybe it's so open and flat in this part of Essex that they're blown to face-height more of the time.

I suppose that on a DF bike your head angle is a bit different a lot of the time with your mouth tucked behind your nose.

Or perhaps I'm just attractive to flying insects :rofl:

Auntie Helen said:
Maybe it's so open and flat in this part of Essex that they're blown to face-height more of the time.

I suppose that on a DF bike your head angle is a bit different a lot of the time with your mouth tucked behind your nose.

Or perhaps I'm just attractive to flying insects :rofl:

I do about 10k a year by recumbent trike and have not had the problem, maybe they like the smell of your breath, what do you eat?

wafflycat

Auntie Helen said:
I didn't realise before becoming a recumbent rider that I would end up with facefulls of insects - being that much lower down I seem to cycle at optimum insect hovering height.

I'm thinking of wearing a piratical scarf around my face but wonder if it might make me look rather unfriendly (let alone even odder than normal).

Apart from cycling along with my mouth clamped shut, have any of you got any alternative suggestions?

Always good to maintain a healthy balance of the local flora & fauna in one's intestinal tract.

Top Bottom