Insomnia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I last slept on Monday.

I came home from work and fell asleep for about an hour on the sofa in front of the TV holding a mug of tea. I decided not to go out that night and had an early night. I slept about 4 hours.

I have been awake since.
When I go to bed at night I am tired but not sleepy. I am then wide awake in bed through to 8am and then I might get 15 minutes of half sleep listening to the radio before I get up.

I'm not even sleepy now but I do know I will need to sleep at some point.

Any suggestions that don't involve alcohol or drugs?

Blue

Legendary Member
Getting the brain into a quiet state is important - hence counting sheep, or whatever.

Have you tried soothing music?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I usually do some meditation and relaxation and although that does clear my mind and relax me I am still finding that I lie there, resting and wide awake thinking peaceful thoughts.

I think if I wasn't rested I would be a wreck now. It doesn't seem to be troubling me so much as making my day (and night) really long. If I used the time to work on or think about something then I would be knackered and not sleeping.

Blue

Legendary Member
I hate to suggest it in a cycling site, but are you cycling too much? Sleep problems can be a symptom of overtraining.

I presume you have eliminated other issues like too much coffee, eating late etc.

Have you fallen in love recently? Sleep problems can be an issue there!!

yoyo

I used to not sleep at all at night very often. I have taken Valerian and am currently taking melatonin.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm a fair weather leisure cyclist so no risk of over doing the cycling for me.

I have probably 3 cups of coffee in a week, in the mornings, but I do sometimes eat late. Biscuits with hot Ribina or some fruit.

Fallen in love? I wish! ;)
A woman I had been quite fond of, but who was only into an on/off relationship with me, has found someone else to be with. I was a bit sad about it at the time but fine about it now as I know where I stand with her now. I was expecting it as I wouldn't give her what she wanted without commitment and so I figured she would get it elsewhere eventually, and she did.

I don't think I am depressed, I feel quite settled and happy. Not quite as much money as I would like but I love my work and my home life and have plenty to keep me occupied with. Not feeling unmotivated at all, I'm becoming more motivated to start getting building projects moving again after the winter break.

My gp is a waste of time. If I go to see him his first reaction will be to think I am trying for a sick note, his second will be to prescribe Prozac. I don't bother him with anything important.

Greedo

Night Train said:
I'm a fair weather leisure cyclist so no risk of over doing the cycling for me.

I have probably 3 cups of coffee in a week, in the mornings, but I do sometimes eat late. Biscuits with hot Ribina or some fruit.

Fallen in love? I wish! ;)
A woman I had been quite fond of, but who was only into an on/off relationship with me, has found someone else to be with. I was a bit sad about it at the time but fine about it now as I know where I stand with her now. I was expecting it as I wouldn't give her what she wanted without commitment and so I figured she would get it elsewhere eventually, and she did.

I don't think I am depressed, I feel quite settled and happy. Not quite as much money as I would like but I love my work and my home life and have plenty to keep me occupied with. Not feeling unmotivated at all, I'm becoming more motivated to start getting building projects moving again after the winter break.

My gp is a waste of time. If I go to see him his first reaction will be to think I am trying for a sick note, his second will be to prescribe Prozac. I don't bother him with anything important.

You're too honest for your own good mate!

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
lukesdad said:
You could be in a bit of a rut maybe.
That could be a possiblity.

I like having projects to work on, currently rebuilding the top floor of my house and converting an electric car but both have had to stop due to winter adn I am itching to get them moving.

The only other thing that conincides with this week's complete lack of sleep, as opposed to the usual hit and miss bouts of sleep is that I have been reading 'The Shack' by Wm. Paul Young. Before that I read 'The Last Theorem' by Arthur C Clarke and Frederik Pohl.

Can't think of anything else significant really.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
NT - as someone that occasionally gets Insomnia, I'm sorry to read this!

The only things I can suggest are a change in routine, maybe more physical activities to occupy the time as it sounds like everything has come to a grinding halt!

There's also the usual bath before bed, reading an easy going book, lavendar oil on the pillow and kalms/valerian. Progressive relaxation where you tense and relax every body part one at a time from the toes upwards.

Sometimes it just is a biological blip. If you find yourself unable to sleep - just get up and do something productive with the time.

Good luck - hope you get some rest soon

just jim

Perhaps you need to hook up with some friends to take you out of you routine,or a trip somewhere different. A gallery or cinema combined with a walk or two. I saw a poster recently which made me nod in agreement:

bikesimplicity.jpg

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks ttc.

I have been staying in bed resting at night instead of doing something with the time as I figured it was better then suddenly needing to sleep when I was at work or driving.

Can't stand smellies. I tried Lavender once and ended up doing laundry in the middle of the night to get rid of the smell! ;)

Top Bottom