Insomnia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Not me, fast asleep !

Mozzy

Any sufferers? I know I feckin do.

Yep. Just waiting to see matey boy at Frenchay in December, to decide on what next. used to be fine but CAN'T get off without a pilly doo anymore, and maybe get a few hours of tossin n turnin sleep if you call it that. Thank goodness for the 'pute'.

Methinks it will be a sleep clinic at Frenchay, I mean stay the night or two.

Mozzy

joanna

yep, me, for over a year now. Been having acupuncture which seems to be helping a bit - and was also told to eat more meat - I generally never ate any meat (once every two months at most), but my acupuncturist advised me to have a portion a few times a week. Also to take an iron/vitamin tonic - floradix floravital.

The last few weeks my sleep has been a bit better - although I'm still taking nytol. not sure of the link between this and sleep, but seems to be helping.

good luck.

Mozzy

yep, me, for over a year now. Been having acupuncture which seems to be helping a bit - and was also told to eat more meat - I generally never ate any meat (once every two months at most), but my acupuncturist advised me to have a portion a few times a week. Also to take an iron/vitamin tonic - floradix floravital.

The last few weeks my sleep has been a bit better - although I'm still taking nytol. not sure of the link between this and sleep, but seems to be helping.

good luck.

Nytol, according to the instructions is supposed to be short term. No idea why.

Mozzy

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Solution for insomnia (worked for me - I had it bad when I was younger, hardly get it at all now):

1) Don't take stimulants after 6pm. That means (a) if you smoke, stoppit! and (b) no tea or coffee - I drink redbush instead (with milk).

2) Don't drink lots of fluid before bed.

3) Go to bed at the same time each night. I am a lark rather than an owl, I tend to go to bed at 10pm and lightsout between 10:30 and 11.

4) DO NOT be tempted to go down the route of sleeping pills. It will make it all the harder to sleep naturally when you come off them (if you come off them!) I was on sleeping pills for two years.

Follow those four tips and I guarantee you will sleep soundly - give it a while though for your body to adjust.

While you're lying there trying to sleep, you're probably getting stressed about not sleeping, hence you're creating a vicious circle. I have a clock radio in my bedroom, I just stickon Radio 4 on low volume, lie there and listen to it, relax with eyes shut, and within 20 minutes I've gone to sleep - because I'm not worried about not sleeping. Sometimes I lie there awake for an hour and a half, but I still wake up refreshed because I've been very relaxed during that time, just listening to the radio, not wearing myself out with stressing over inability to sleep.

Mozzy

Solution for insomnia (worked for me - I had it bad when I was younger, hardly get it at all now):

1) Don't take stimulants after 6pm. That means (a) if you smoke, stoppit! and (b) no tea or coffee - I drink redbush instead (with milk).

2) Don't drink lots of fluid before bed.

3) Go to bed at the same time each night. I am a lark rather than an owl, I tend to go to bed at 10pm and lightsout between 10:30 and 11.

4) DO NOT be tempted to go down the route of sleeping pills. It will make it all the harder to sleep naturally when you come off them (if you come off them!) I was on sleeping pills for two years.

Follow those four tips and I guarantee you will sleep soundly - give it a few days though for your body to adjust.

Tried all of the above. Still cannot come of the tablets though. It is getting to sleep which is my problem; the tablets at least let me get to sleep. I cannot stand watching the clock go round. I too have nothing after early evening, no fags, drink or other stimulants. Having so said I went out Saturday, drunk a bottle of red wine after a couple of large G&T's still had my pill at 10pm and slept soundly; other than having to get up at 3am to consume a litre of water. Went back off again and slept soundly until 7am which has been a record of sorts.

Mozzy

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Environmental causes are comparatively easy to work on and fix / adapt to. It's when there's an underlying cause that you're stuffed.

All the side effects of lack of sleep are horrible but what I really hate is the nausea. xx(

Night Train

Maker of Things
I hardly sleep.

Advice given seems to be to shut down the laptop and tv early on, have a warm milky drink and settle down with a good book in a cool room.
As your body temperature drops and you get tired don't fight it, just put the book down and go to sleep.

It does work but I am awake again after an hour or two.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Never do sleeping pills. Do not drink caffeine past a certain time etc none of it works for me much. P.S the reason you should not use nytol often is that as an antihystimine (sic?) the body very quickly builds up a tolerance to the hypnotic effects of the drug.

lozcs

Guru
I was diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome a few years ago. Had it since my teens and it's basiclly like constant jetlag. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Part of the reason I took up cycling to work was to get some rays in the morning to try and help regulate my melatonin with a little light therapy.

Top Bottom