Inspiration required for potential new bicycle (Update: case closed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Pulled the trigger on a Cervelo R series Di2. Details to follow…
:whistle:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Definitely not a drunk Friday night purchase lol
https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/cervelo/cervelo-r-series-disc-ultegra-di2-2021/

I had been doing a lot of research and going around various bike shops and seeing stuff in the carbon. This culminated yesterday in me visiting 2 shops and being seriously tempted by another Defy - this was a one off custom build they had made up with a replacement frame they had surplus after one was damaged in the workshop during build. It was a Defy Advanced Pro 1 spec (the SRAM AXS version) with Force grouppo. But I had to ask myself - what would I be gaining different from my current older Defy - the geometry is near identical, so just a lighter bike with a different grouppo and colour, plus through axels of course. TCR was probably what I would have gone for but after owning 2 current Giant road bikes and an MTB in the past I fancied a change.

After that I went to an LBS and received some great assistance. I tried a couple of Treks for size, an Emonda and a Domane. Annoyingly, I am right on the crossover point size wise between 54 and 56 for Trek and stock limitations being what they are, it meant I couldn't try the bike I really wanted, in the spec / frame material anyway. Lead time are long and I wanted to love the Emonda more than I did really. The Domane is super comfy but heavy. Only one in my size was white which I don't want after owning a white road bike for years.

It seems to me that there are some levels of stock trickling through slowly now and a few places online have more availability than they did 2 or 3 months ago but it is still a problem to Shimano components, I am told by a couple of the places I visited. I eventually went for the Cervelo because of a few reasons. I really like the colour scheme and the more old skool geometry. I know dropped stays are all the rage but the best feeling bike I ever owned was more traditional in terms of a very gently sloping top tube and seat stays that are not really dropped low down. Having the luxury of my two main road bikes being Ultegra wired and the other Ultegra Di2 meant I didn't really want to drop too many levels in the hierarchy when splashing out on a fairly pricey new ride. The rrp on the Cervelo Di2 is something like 5600 but I was happy to find it with a discount at Wheelbase and around 4850. Meant Di2 was just in my range, all be it more then I had originally planned on spending - but feck it, you only live once and this I expect to last me a few years. Lightweight climbing bike really but it is going to be decent on the flat and longer rides imho. I don't exactly live in an alpine area and I will probably keep the Propel ticking over just incase I feel the urge to ride something slightly more aero, once in a while. The Defy (currently Di2) will likely be relegated to turbo duties and I will take the Di2 back off this and switch onto the Propel. I got some Tiagra bits knocking around I can use for the Defy/turbo hack build :okay:

Eta for delivery is next Thursday - fingers crossed the dry weather holds out for a week or so ^_^

Definitely not a drunk Friday night purchase lol
https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/cervelo/cervelo-r-series-disc-ultegra-di2-2021/

I had been doing a lot of research and going around various bike shops and seeing stuff in the carbon. This culminated yesterday in me visiting 2 shops and being seriously tempted by another Defy - this was a one off custom build they had made up with a replacement frame they had surplus after one was damaged in the workshop during build. It was a Defy Advanced Pro 1 spec (the SRAM AXS version) with Force grouppo. But I had to ask myself - what would I be gaining different from my current older Defy - the geometry is near identical, so just a lighter bike with a different grouppo and colour, plus through axels of course. TCR was probably what I would have gone for but after owning 2 current Giant road bikes and an MTB in the past I fancied a change.

After that I went to an LBS and received some great assistance. I tried a couple of Treks for size, an Emonda and a Domane. Annoyingly, I am right on the crossover point size wise between 54 and 56 for Trek and stock limitations being what they are, it meant I couldn't try the bike I really wanted, in the spec / frame material anyway. Lead time are long and I wanted to love the Emonda more than I did really. The Domane is super comfy but heavy. Only one in my size was white which I don't want after owning a white road bike for years.

It seems to me that there are some levels of stock trickling through slowly now and a few places online have more availability than they did 2 or 3 months ago but it is still a problem to Shimano components, I am told by a couple of the places I visited. I eventually went for the Cervelo because of a few reasons. I really like the colour scheme and the more old skool geometry. I know dropped stays are all the rage but the best feeling bike I ever owned was more traditional in terms of a very gently sloping top tube and seat stays that are not really dropped low down. Having the luxury of my two main road bikes being Ultegra wired and the other Ultegra Di2 meant I didn't really want to drop too many levels in the hierarchy when splashing out on a fairly pricey new ride. The rrp on the Cervelo Di2 is something like 5600 but I was happy to find it with a discount at Wheelbase and around 4850. Meant Di2 was just in my range, all be it more then I had originally planned on spending - but feck it, you only live once and this I expect to last me a few years. Lightweight climbing bike really but it is going to be decent on the flat and longer rides imho. I don't exactly live in an alpine area and I will probably keep the Propel ticking over just incase I feel the urge to ride something slightly more aero, once in a while. The Defy (currently Di2) will likely be relegated to turbo duties and I will take the Di2 back off this and switch onto the Propel. I got some Tiagra bits knocking around I can use for the Defy/turbo hack build :okay:

Eta for delivery is next Thursday - fingers crossed the dry weather holds out for a week or so ^_^

Looks a decent buy. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
As promised... just in time for the rain to start falling :laugh:

Oh yes...
New Bike day-1.jpg

So it begins...
New Bike day-2.jpg

'Super lightly' clamped in stand...
New Bike day-3.jpg

RD and cassette inspection...
New Bike day-6.jpg

Almost done, just waiting for the postman to always ring twice with...
New Bike day-8.jpg

Matching carbon bottle cages & Ultegra pedals (God bless Royal Mail)...!
New Bike day-4.jpg

Ride report to follow - pending the rain clouds to bugger off, of course.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Saddle looks rather pointy down?!

Correct - I always have it nose down on all bikes. Not tested yet so may well required some adjustment but that's a ball park for starters.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Aren't we meant to be clamping bikes by the seatpost rather than the top tube these days ?

Does look very smart in the flesh. 👍

Yes but only if it’s an alu post. This is carbon. Super lightly closed and had the lagging there still, it’s definitely a no no to clamp it onto a carbon top tube with any kind of force.

Top Bottom