Inspiration required for potential new bicycle (Update: case closed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds like he has discounted PX carbon?

No I have a Ti one and thought about the PX Pro Carbon but have decided against it on this occasion.

13 rider

Guru
I have the 3k giant TCR advanced absolutely love it . Its not as an agressive position as many people expect comes with plenty of headset spacers to play with . Of the big brands with lifetime frame guarantees I believe it offers the best value for money
As an alternative A Ribble Endurance SLR which you can speck out the bike build to your requirements but only comes with 3 year frame guarantee which swung me to the Giant

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well I went into the Specialized concept store this morning and the Giant store down the road.
Saw some nice articles in Spesh but the upstairs sales guy at the till didn't even look up from his screen when I walked upstairs and straight past him (I was about to say hi and was literally the only customer in the store) for all he knew I would have dropped 5k but their loss. Not a reason not to buy but off putting. Nice few bikes and frames in there though.
Giant was the polar opposite, sales guy wouldn't leave me alone but at least he was enthusiastic. Not the right sizes for me but nice to view a few TCR's. Waiting for the new '22 stock to come in and still big delays manufacturing with Shimano parts shortage a big problem apparently... plenty to mull over.

This might be heresy but if you're asking for inspiration then do you really need to buy another ? I'd probably be hanging on until I come across my dream bike. And nowadays that's more to do with the paint job than the carbon lay up !

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Fair point^
need? no
want / desire? yes!
I have probably already convinced myself to get one but no huge rush and just interesting to hear about others' views. If money was no object then I would probably get a...
actually I have no idea - maybe answering this could get me to the right destination :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'd second Dolan as a good option. I've several friends who have taken delivery of very nice Dolans in the past 12 months.

I wouldn't go for di2 but put the money saved in to the frame and wheels. In my view a good frame and wheels will do far more for your cycling than a fancy gear change. I wouldn't discount di2 for a bike but I'd only choose it after investing in the frame and wheels of the highest standard I could achieve for the budget.

I've recently upgraded my Cervelo to Ultegra. The change is very slick and I'm pleased I did this.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Trek Domane, which you've already mentioned. Current SL5 is £3,050. However, a new model is imminent (and ridden to Paris-Roubaix Femmes win) so there might be deals shortly…

I've recently purchased the Dolan tuono as a frameset and had my existing Di2 kit transferred over.
Have to say I'm really impressed - it looks way better than pictures and is a very responsive framset.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I've recently purchased the Dolan tuono as a frameset and had my existing Di2 kit transferred over.
Have to say I'm really impressed - it looks way better than pictures and is a very responsive framset.

I had been seriously thinking about one of these. I have a config saved atm...
What colour did you go for, the standard dark blue or I am tempted by the battleship grey..?

I had been seriously thinking about one of these. I have a config saved atm...
What colour did you go for, the standard dark blue or I am tempted by the battleship grey..?

I went for the standard colour - because I was in a hurry - to be honest it looks good enough (Saddle accepted !!!) - Im glad i didn't spend the extra £300 on custom colour
PXL_20220409_085138315.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Revisiting this thread to provide an update on the lack of updates...

But I think I am down to 3:

Giant TCR Advanced (probably Pro, definitely not SL)
Canyon Ultimate CF (maybe SL)
Trek Domane SL

A lot of this is down to availability (which is pretty terrible for all 3). Many have long lead times but depending on the exact spec some combinations may be available this summer. I like Giants but 2 of my last 3 road bikes are Giants and I fancy a change. Canyon looks good for the £ but strictly online and no option to test from where I am, plus I have read their QA isn't what it was but this may be online sh*t stirring. I like the Trek but: a) it's a Trek and b) not crazy about the shape of the head tube

If only Cannondales didn't cost mega bux these days I would probably be all over a supersix again...

edit to add: the try hard in me would dearly love an S Works but I would have to beat myself up regularly if I did

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Revisiting this thread to provide an update on the lack of updates...

But I think I am down to 3:

Giant TCR Advanced (probably Pro, definitely not SL)
Canyon Ultimate CF (maybe SL)
Trek Domane SL

A lot of this is down to availability (which is pretty terrible for all 3). Many have long lead times but depending on the exact spec some combinations may be available this summer. I like Giants but 2 of my last 3 road bikes are Giants and I fancy a change. Canyon looks good for the £ but strictly online and no option to test from where I am, plus I have read their QA isn't what it was but this may be online sh*t stirring. I like the Trek but: a) it's a Trek and b) not crazy about the shape of the head tube

If only Cannondales didn't cost mega bux these days I would probably be all over a supersix again...

edit to add: the try hard in me would dearly love an S Works but I would have to beat myself up regularly if I did

Go on treat yourself to an S works and worry about the beatings later ;)

Top Bottom