Inspiration required for potential new bicycle (Update: case closed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just get the Supersix if that’s what you want…budget schmudget :whistle:

There is one of these in stock at a large LBS I will be close to on Monday but it is just shy of 4k and only wired Ultegra, plus it's predominantly white (I had a white SuperSix before, bugger to keep clean).

I am considering getting this and build up myself to my own spec...
cervelo r series.jpg

OR one of these:

orro.jpg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
OR one of these:

I like the Orro and its a bit different to the big boring brands and better value and a snazzy colour. What are you after as you've linked both quite racy aero bikes and endurance bikes. I'd be tempted by the latter as generally comfier for general riding, which again point to the Orro. But its you deciding....

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sigma sometimes gave good deals on high end frames/bikes

Yep seen the R Series cervelo on there (on sale) :okay: Not certain on the moss green / sea foam colour though - remings me of our recently painted living room walls (mellow sage). Nice on a living room wall (subject to lighting) not sure if I will still think it's nice on a pricey road bike build after 3 seasons use... more food for though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I like the Orro and its a bit different to the big boring brands and better value and a snazzy colour. What are you after as you've linked both quite racy aero bikes and endurance bikes. I'd be tempted by the latter as generally comfier for general riding, which again point to the Orro. But its you deciding....

Well I am now deep into 'research' on Orro and I do like what I see. I really should go for more endurance based geometry but it's tough when you're an over weight middle aged gamon with a lack of talent and a burning desire to go for something racier looking :okay:

Doubtless the STC Gold would be a nice ride and still capable enough. If I am being honest, my original brief per the OP has probably mellowed slightly towards a more endurance based requirement but it still needs to be all rounder enough to feel well planted in terms of handling at speed. There - does that cover enough bases? :laugh:

edit to add: for more in depth background on this... I have been pushing a little harder on my current endurance based road bike (Defy) and even tweaked the setup slightly. It is no match for the Propel (watt for watt) but it's a different animal, of course... Net result = I dunno, still open to all suggestions!?

Yep seen the R Series cervelo on there (on sale) :okay: Not certain on the moss green / sea foam colour though - remings me of our recently painted living room walls (mellow sage). Nice on a living room wall (subject to lighting) not sure if I will still think it's nice on a pricey road bike build after 3 seasons use... more food for though.

I got passed by a built up Cervelo in that colour scheme today. It’s a matt finish and to be honest it wasn’t very nice at all.

Well I am now deep into 'research' on Orro and I do like what I see. I really should go for more endurance based geometry but it's tough when you're an over weight middle aged gamon with a lack of talent and a burning desire to go for something racier looking :okay:

Doubtless the STC Gold would be a nice ride and still capable enough. If I am being honest, my original brief per the OP has probably mellowed slightly towards a more endurance based requirement but it still needs to be all rounder enough to feel well planted in terms of handling at speed. There - does that cover enough bases? :laugh:

edit to add: for more in depth background on this... I have been pushing a little harder on my current endurance based road bike (Defy) and even tweaked the setup slightly. It is no match for the Propel (watt for watt) but it's a different animal, of course... Net result = I dunno, still open to all suggestions!?

I know I'm repeating myself - and sure everyone recommends there own bike.
But I cant stress enough how chuffed I am with my Dolan - being in my late 50s I usually go endurance geometry. Which the Dolan is - but it's on the racy side of endurance.

When I got on it - I thought wow that's stiff and fast - but how will the comfort stack up on longer rides ? Have to say it does

It feels like a race bike on endurance geometry. My speeds on it are well up and I just want to ride it.....fast. which was something I thought had gone at my age.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I know I'm repeating myself - and sure everyone recommends there own bike.
But I cant stress enough how chuffed I am with my Dolan - being in my late 50s I usually go endurance geometry. Which the Dolan is - but it's on the racy side of endurance.

When I got on it - I thought wow that's stiff and fast - but how will the comfort stack up on longer rides ? Have to say it does

It feels like a race bike on endurance geometry. My speeds on it are well up and I just want to ride it.....fast. which was something I thought had gone at my age.

I'm sorry but I won't be investing - I'm out! I just don't love it enough

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ok team - it's a Friday and rash purchases are often mad on a Friday. I have my eye on three little piggies and an itchy trigger finger. What would you do? Obvs 3 different types of bike and 3 price points. Head says Domane, head maybe says Rondo, bank manager says Emonda.

sigma basket.jpg

I'm sorry but I won't be investing - I'm out! I just don't love it enough

Good enough reason. I wouldn't have brought the bike outright - I just needed a new frame quickly - but having built the thing up - I just love riding it.

Out of your three would be the trek domain sl6 - limited sizes available from Sigma though.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
There's a local retailer who has a couple of Domanes, not necessarily in my preferred spec but in my size. If I was to go for one of the Treks, I will likely go and take a proper look in the carbon and test for size, first. I probably wont buy from them due to other reasons though. Does that me me a bad person? I am super tempted by that Rondo and will spend some time this afternoon doing more in depth research - planned around working commitments, of course :okay:

Top Bottom