Insurance against accidents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

OK so I've got my bike insured against theft on my household insurance, but my missus is asking what happens if I plough into someone/thing or someone/thing ploughs into me and writes off the bike or me? Is there an insurance for cylists like what car drivers have?

GFamily

Über Member
OK so I've got my bike insured against theft on my household insurance, but my missus is asking what happens if I plough into someone/thing or someone/thing ploughs into me and writes off the bike or me? Is there an insurance for cylists like what car drivers have?

If you have household contents insurance, it may come with third party liability insurance which should cover damage you do to other people's property. More Than and Direct Line insurance have this, though I am told that some companies DON'T include this cover for cycle accidents, so so do check before you need to claim.

If you damage your own bike because of your own fault, whether you'll have any cover will depend on your own bicycle insurance.

Ste T.

Guru
The CTC offers £1,000,000 of 3rd party cover as part of membership also they are very good at whooping the ass of said 3rd party if they are in the wrong.

Yep, join CTC

Non-cycling car drivers don't believe me when I tell them I'm insured for the paltry sum of CTC membership

+1 CTC

As insurance for cyclists isn't compulsory - it's cheap, so cheap that CTC pretty much throws it in for free.

If it became a requirement we would be paying x10 the amount.

adscrim

Veteran
Plus the CTC provide legal advice in you are ever unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident. I believe the Britich Cycling Ride membership does pretty much the same (but you don't get a magazine about men with beards :whistle: ).

Just checked, the 3rd party cover for both is £10m, both offer free legal advice and you get discounts on purchases (wiggle opperate the CTC shop)

Plus the CTC provide legal advice in you are ever unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident. I believe the Britich Cycling Ride membership does pretty much the same (but you don't get a magazine about men with beards :whistle: ).

Just checked, the 3rd party cover for both is £10m, both offer free legal advice and you get discounts on purchases (wiggle opperate the CTC shop)

The legal advice is basically a "no win no fee" operator that works for CTC - so I don't see why you couldn't just go this route yourself (and direct to the company). CTC openly welcomes new applicants to register with CTC just to get this (after the accident). I think the difference with just going to any old no win no fee here is being that the CTC affiliated ones should be better with cycling related cases.

I think someone said that if you went to them directly they would recommend you sign up to CTC 5 year membership or such...

knonist

I pay around £70 for insurance each year
which included

for approx £1000 bike insurance

1 Cover for theft, accidental damage & vandalism (no de-valuation)
RACE COVER INCLUDED
2 Third party cover up to £1m worth up to £27 when bought separately
3 Personal accident cover up to £20,000 worth up to £23 when bought separately
4 Breakdown recovery for your bicycle worth up to £35 when bought separately
5 90 days’ European cover
6 60 days’ worldwide cover
7 Bike hire up to £250 to spend on a hire bike following an approved claim
8 ‘Get You Home’ cover a taxi home should your bike be stolen or damaged
9No claims discount earn up to 40% no claims discount
10L ow excess 5% (£25 minimum payment)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
+1 CTC

As insurance for cyclists isn't compulsory - it's cheap, so cheap that CTC pretty much throws it in for free.

If it became a requirement we would be paying x10 the amount.

There is an error in the logic here, it is not cheap because isn't compulsory. It is cheap because there is a very low risk of the insured party making a clam, basically cycling is a safe activity which does very little harm to anyone, unlike driving...

There is an error in the logic here, it is not cheap because isn't compulsory. It is cheap because there is a very low risk of the insured party making a clam, basically cycling is a safe activity which does very little harm to anyone, unlike driving...

Okay - its "cheaper" because it's not compulsory.

The risk (and amount cost wise) is another factor of course, im not denying that :tongue:

adscrim

Veteran
Arguably, compulsion would reduce the cost as you'd have a similar level of risk but more people paying for insurance.

Klaus

I am sure I read in the last CTC magazine that claims in their insurance scheme have gone up considerably.
There must be an impact on the CTC's premium to that insurance policy.
Presumable it's a combination of more cyclists on the roads, more CTC members and better awareness,

Just noticed, my 100th post and I am now a member, no longer junior, hurray!!!

taxing

My contents insurance includes theft and third party for no extra charge, so I don't worry about those, but I do sometimes wonder what will happen if I plow into a tree or something along those lines. If I do the damage myself then I think I have to pay for it.