Insurance Offer - Dawes Mono or Genesis Flyer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick G

the insurance offer for my nicked fixie (see elsewhere) is either of the above two. To be honest, I'd rather have the money and may ask for it, but it's likely to be less than the value of the bike they're offering I reckon.

Anybody got any thoughts about the above, or whether I should push for cash, and how much? They've maxed out the offer at £500 towards the replacement bike so I have to add the difference anyway.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would push for the cash and then get exactly what you want. Both those bikes seem to be at the £ 500 mark so if you are happy with that then push for that.

OP
OP
Nick G

Nick G

It's unlikely I'll be offered more than £350 cash - the insurance companies get big discounts from the bike retailers so if I took the Genesis, RRP £599 (so I have to pay the extra £100) the insurance company would pay much less than the £500 "contribution".

Nevertheless, £350 to put towards the bike I want may be better than having a bike I don't want.

MajorMantra

The bikes ares similar spec except that the Dawes has mudguards. Personally I'd go for the Flyer because it's better looking, but then I'm biased as I already ride one and I love it.

Have considered the Ridgeback Solo? It's very similar to the Flyer but has mudguards and rack mounts.

Matthew

Greenbank

Über Member
MajorMantra said:
Have considered the Ridgeback Solo? It's very similar to the Flyer but has mudguards and rack mounts.

Dunno if they still make it, but the Genesis Skyline was the mudguard+rack boss version of the Flyer.

If I hadn't of splashed out on the Tempo I would have got a Skyline or a Pearson Hanzo.

MajorMantra

Greenbank said:
Dunno if they still make it, but the Genesis Skyline was the mudguard+rack boss version of the Flyer.

Compare photos of the Skyline and Solo next to one another, they're identical. Don't forget that Ridgeback and Genesis are two arms of the same brand - I think they've just changed the decals and one or two components to shake things up for the 2009 bikes:

Solo:

2336-6681-full-ridgeback-solo-2009-road-bike-3.jpg

Skyline:

Skyline_hi.jpg

Matthew

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If I had to chosse between the 2 bikes offered then I would go for the Genesis as it looks far nicer than the Dawes.

Greenbank

Über Member
MajorMantra said:
Compare photos of the Skyline and Solo next to one another, they're identical.

Ah, thanks!

Top Bottom