Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I'm not sure what sort of insurance I need to get. I'm looking for something that will cover me if I'm in an accident, and something that will cover the bike in the case of a crash, vandalism, spontaneous combustion, theft, arson, nuclear warfare and acid rain (etc).

I can't put the bike on the house content insurance thingy since they will only cover £500 for bikes.

I was thinking BC or CTC, but does that include the bike? What if I want to claim off someone, or someone wants to claim off me?

Cheers,
Sam :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
lose or damage your bike, that's one thing. Shed tears, swear vengeance on the world, chase cyclists on similar bikes before realising that it's a different size..............

cause a crash, injure a pedestrian, and (here's the rub) get rear-ended by a car and remember, too late, that you don't have third party insurance then you are screwed, my friend, and not in a small way. Let's take the simplest example - you are rear-ended by a car and your pride and joy is a write-off. You claim from the driver. The driver's insurers write back to you and say a) you reversed in to the car, b) the car is damaged and they want you to pay for it and c) the driver hit his head on the windscreen, and they want you to pay for the plastic surgery.

Far-fetched? No. Some insurers make a habit of this. So, check your household policy very carefully, or ring up the insurers, and, if you're not covered then take out BC, LCC or CTC membership and get all the other lovely benefits that go with it.

To go back to insuring the bike. I've got about £11k worth of bike insurance on the Halifax house insurance policy. It's worth looking around.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yep - for me it's CTC membership. Time was insurance for your bike was so expensive that you could buy a new one if you saved up 3 years of payments. On those grounds I haven't insured my bikes for a very long time. But I'm out of touch now - worth shopping around I reckon.

Top Bottom