Interail- sad news

This

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49263781

seems to have been caused by Brit railmisdelivery group's keeness to flog the "Britrail" pass. I haven't looked at that but can imagine that it is a completely barmy price you'd have to be fuelled by drugs to get your moneysworth out of.

I have fond memories of inter-railing.

Brits will still be able to buy interail passes but from a quick read they will only kick in once you are over the channel.

Slick

Veteran
Shame, anything that encourages tourists to explore our islands would be a good thing.

I'm not sure it would put off the type of tourists that would use that service. They'll just buy the tickets when they get here.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
hey'll just buy the tickets when they get here
They just won't come. Inter-railers are typically budget travellers. If you have a choice between buying a ticket to all of Europe except the UK, or just the UK, almost none of them will cross the channel, especially given our shoddy trains.

I'd predict that within a few years the "Britrail" pass will quietly die a death.

OP
Blue Hills
I'm not sure it would put off the type of tourists that would use that service. They'll just buy the tickets when they get here.
No they won't _ see other replies. Not sure you understand inter rail and assume you never did it. It's all about a single payment and then glorious freedom. Europeans landing here without a pass will face massively confusing and then hellishly expensive fares. I've seen passes for bits of nw england. The prices are beyond a joke. I find it hard to believe they sell any.

Slick

Veteran
Maybe it's the budget thing I'm not grasping but is our rail travel really that expensive?

I paid a fair price for a hot sweaty hard ride on a Dutch train recently.

OP
Blue Hills
Er yes it is expensive usually, unless you book in advance intercity. Hell when interrailing i used to take long trips just to sleep - once shuttled between two italian cities for the kips. That dutch train of yours would i assume have cost an interrailer not a bean over the initial cost.
Still time for you to interrail slick :smile:

Slick

Veteran
Er yes it is expensive usually, unless you book in advance intercity. Hell when interrailing i used to take long trips just to sleep - once shuttled between two italian cities for the kips. That dutch train of yours would i assume have cost an interrailer not a bean over the initial cost.
Still time for you to interrail slick :smile:
Not really my style if I'm honest. :okay:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
This must be one of the brilliant opportunities that they keep telling us Brexit will bring.

OP
Blue Hills
This must be one of the brilliant opportunities that they keep telling us Brexit will bring.
If you'd read the story it makes it clear that it's nothing to do with brexit. In fact when I interailed, several years, europe and the union was very different and hungary, which interrail covered, wasn't in the EU - it was in what was then called the eastern block. Oh, and jugoslavia existed. We also went through that on a long long journey from venice to athens - train stopped somewhere east of trieste in the middle of the night while guards opened luggage looking for contraband blue jeans, serious shortage of functioning toilets, and since the journey was maybe 20 hours longer than we had thought when we jumped on the train with gay abandon, a serious shortage of food. Happy days :smile:

Last edited:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
If you'd read the story it makes it clear the it's nothing to do with brexit. In fact when I interailed, several years, europe and the union was very different and hungary, which interrail covered, wasn't in the EU - it was in what was then called the eastern block.
I was being a bit flippant, but you have ask what sort of message it's sending out when we have Brexiteers countinually droning on about "Brtitain is open for business..."

OP
Blue Hills
Thanks.
Great news.
And their britrail passes can sit on the shelf/down a long dark tunnel.
By the by, looks like chris tarrant is exploring the Balkans railways at 7pm on channel 5. Prog called extreme railways for some reason but i bet he encounters better maintained toilets than on my all included interail trip through yugoslavia. Well remember asking one evening at venice railway station what time the train reached athens. We were told something like 10 in the morning. After a while, somewhere in the middle of sun beaten yugoslavia, it dawned on our merry band that it wasn't the next morning but the morning after that :smile:

Top Bottom