Interesting "conversation" with 4X4 driver last night!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
I remember having to stand on a friend's front bumper while he tried to get his 2CV up the hill on the green lane at Taxall in Derbyshire. He'd popped one of the driveshafts out and the only way to get two wheel drive was to have as much weight as possible over the front end.
The best bit about off roading in 2CVs was the times we'd meet people in jacked up Land Rovers with winches, mud tyres and hi lift jacks on the same lane. They always looked so downcast when we got through the same stuff they did.:angry:

Even better, my late BF once helped to pull a Landy out of trouble with his 2CV!

That, and bonnet sledging...:biggrin:

LLB

Ronaldo said:
Yes these are great cars; have owned the same one for 30 years.
Designed by slide rule engineers they achieve high traction and like almost all "two wheel drive" cars have only one driven wheel at any given time.

They don't achieve high traction as such, they just have very low weight which stops them getting bogged down.
Had a similar thing years ago. Friend had an all singing all dancing Bultaco 370 scrambler and we tried to go up the hill after a big snowfall. The bultaco was too heavy and just sank in, but another lad on a Gilera 50, went over the top of the drifts because it had no weight to it.

Trillian

magnatom said:
Of course there are two lanes silly!! He drives a 4x4 and is allowed to take up any position on the road, including the lane for oncoming traffic. Oncoming traffic must of course get out of his way!

Problems do occur when two 4x4s come head to head. However, this is resolved quite easily. The 4x4 with the brightest fog lights (which are always on of course!) has right of way. If their fog lights are of similar blinding value, the 4x4 which is the cleanest wins. 4x4s were not designed to go off road and get muddy...:biggrin:

:angry::biggrin:

if i remember rightly, developing countries such as remote areas of sudan he with loudest horn has right of way.

Trillian

spindrift said:
Tycoon's son who left toddler brain damaged in 70mph horror Range Rover crash jailed for 21 months

danger0204_468x200.jpg

Power: Singh was driving a £57,000 Range Rover

Cerys0204_468x393.jpg

Paralysed: Cerys Edwards, pictured before the accident

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...e+Rover+crash+jailed+for+21+months/article.do

to me, the media has jumped on the "it was a 4x4" bandwaggon

he'd have been a dumbass in any car other than a reliant robin

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rhythm Thief said:
I remember having to stand on a friend's front bumper while he tried to get his 2CV up the hill on the green lane at Taxall in Derbyshire. He'd popped one of the driveshafts out and the only way to get two wheel drive was to have as much weight as possible over the front end.
The best bit about off roading in 2CVs was the times we'd meet people in jacked up Land Rovers with winches, mud tyres and hi lift jacks on the same lane. They always looked so downcast when we got through the same stuff they did.:angry:

LOL, I once got to the top of a mountain in Honde Valley (off road, in the forrestry commission area) to our paragliding take-off point, when 5 mins later my farmer mate got stuck in his Isuzu 4x4 pickup. I was driving a Mazda 323, LOL, and he was mortified when he saw me up there.

spindrift

True, but these vehicles pose a greater risk to pedestrians:

All 4x4s should come with a health warning to alert buyers to the deadly threat these cars pose to pedestrians.
That's the conclusion of a report in the influential British Medical Journal (BMJ).
Off-roaders - 4x4s - are more likely to kill or seriously injure pedestrians than ordinary cars, say researchers writing in the journal. However, our own research shows that some 4x4s are more pedestrian-friendly than others.
The BMJ report's authors argue that the car's design makes it more dangerous because the bonnet rather than the bumper is the first thing to hit pedestrians. This first strike hits the critical central body regions of the upper leg and pelvis, and topples the victim with such force that the cars cause double the normal number of injuries to vulnerable areas such as the head, chest, and stomach.
Pedestrian injuries from ordinary cars are less serious leg fractures and knee injuries caused by the bumper; head injuries come from secondary impact with the bonnet or windscreen.
New safety risk

The authors point to US studies which found that, for the same collision speed, the likelihood of a pedestrian fatality is nearly doubled in a collision with a large 4x4 compared with a passenger car. Other studies report as much as four times the risk of severe injury and death.

4x4s are not only seen as a danger to pedestrians, but also to people travelling in other cars. With the increase in large vehicles and the super-mini in recent years, medium cars have become less popular. A recent study by Transport Research Laboratory (TRL), shows many crashes now involve a collision between a large car and a small one. In such a crash the person in the smaller car is 12 times more likely to be killed than the person in the 4x4 [6].

[6&7] Transport Research Laboratory, in ‘Little and large a lethal combination’, Times Online, March 21, 2005

LLB

Trillian said:
to me, the media has jumped on the "it was a 4x4" bandwaggon

he'd have been a dumbass in any car other than a reliant robin

It is a very sad story, but only in the headlines because this family is worth £130 million. The baby was being carried in a Cherokee Jeep and all the vehicles involved were 4x4s

I try to separate the drivers actions from the vehicle because he was doing 72mph and overtaking on a 30mph road. He was caught speeding @ 95mph on the Aston expressway 2 months after this accident.

I think a more sensible approach is to remove his right to drive for say 20 years or more with only limited rights if he does choose to re apply after that time, not just ban Range Rovers because that would be stupid

LLB

spindrift said:
True, but these vehicles pose a greater risk to pedestrians:

All 4x4s should come with a health warning to alert buyers to the deadly threat these cars pose to pedestrians.
That's the conclusion of a report in the influential British Medical Journal (BMJ).
Off-roaders - 4x4s - are more likely to kill or seriously injure pedestrians than ordinary cars, say researchers writing in the journal. However, our own research shows that some 4x4s are more pedestrian-friendly than others.
The BMJ report's authors argue that the car's design makes it more dangerous because the bonnet rather than the bumper is the first thing to hit pedestrians. This first strike hits the critical central body regions of the upper leg and pelvis, and topples the victim with such force that the cars cause double the normal number of injuries to vulnerable areas such as the head, chest, and stomach.
Pedestrian injuries from ordinary cars are less serious leg fractures and knee injuries caused by the bumper; head injuries come from secondary impact with the bonnet or windscreen.
New safety risk

The authors point to US studies which found that, for the same collision speed, the likelihood of a pedestrian fatality is nearly doubled in a collision with a large 4x4 compared with a passenger car. Other studies report as much as four times the risk of severe injury and death.

4x4s are not only seen as a danger to pedestrians, but also to people travelling in other cars. With the increase in large vehicles and the super-mini in recent years, medium cars have become less popular. A recent study by Transport Research Laboratory (TRL), shows many crashes now involve a collision between a large car and a small one. In such a crash the person in the smaller car is 12 times more likely to be killed than the person in the 4x4 [6].

[6&7] Transport Research Laboratory, in ‘Little and large a lethal combination’, Times Online, March 21, 2005

Change the record Spinners :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
'even a decent, hard working, respectful son like our own can easily make a mistake'

I'd send them to jail for either the bare faced cheek to say that or for being so deluded as to think that's what happened

LLB

The first 'accident' should have received at least 2 years behind bars (not sentence handed down), the second should have got him an additional 5 years behind bars as he obviously didn't learn his lesson.

His family are a bunch of arrogant fcukwits who obviously consider life to be very cheap :angry:

Top Bottom