Interesting encoutner with Red Driving School instructor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
This lists a director and contact address:

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07372476

Hopefully, he does not live up to his name!

akb

Veteran
I dont understand the problem? Was there a close pass? Its hard to see what happened due to the low light. Couldnt make out the conversation either.

Initial thoughts are that the car gave you plenty of room. Granted, shouldnt have over taken with another car approaching, but was it really that bad?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I dont understand the problem? Was there a close pass? Its hard to see what happened due to the low light. Couldnt make out the conversation either.

Initial thoughts are that the car gave you plenty of room. Granted, shouldnt have over taken with another car approaching, but was it really that bad?

"Plenty of room" - you're taking the piss.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

I'm with Origamist - that was a very very close pass, perhaps at most a foot from Clare's shoulder. I'd understand if you have limited experience with judging on-camera views, to those of us who watch a lot of YouTube cyclecam action it gets easier and easier to see just how close vehicles get.

The problem here is that a number of the driving schools are run as franchises, with the "head office" washing their hands of any problems. I found this out with BSM, who said they didn't know the car as it was a franchise.

If really concerned contact the local driver testing station, they may have the info to complain as well.

Svendo

Guru
FWIW the instructor is clearly not bothering with rule 163. Good luck chasing it up.

Thomk

Guru
Often instructors who work for these franchises are either part qualified or only recently qualified. More experienced instructors often work for themselves as it's the only way to make a half decent living. Working for a franchise you often have to hire the car from the franchise owner or at least pay them a fat wad just to use their name & benefit from the leads their advertising generates. I'm not sure but Red might employ part qualified instructors and not particularly advertise the fact.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
FWIW the instructor is clearly not bothering with rule 163. Good luck chasing it up.

As I was advised by a Police Officer, when he came around to view a video I was making a complaint about "The Highway Code is not 'the law,' it is simply an 'instruction booklet of best practice' for drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists..."

The 'law' is the Road Traffic Act (RTA.)

The overtake by the 'RED' driver under instruction by the RED driving instructor was inexcusable and a complaint should be made to RED and to the Police (IMHO!) If drivers are being 'instructed' to drive like that, then what chance do we have?

darth vadar

Über Member
Slight over reaction maybe?

Yeah, sometimes things happen, but can't you just put it down to experience and move on?

I am fascinated by the number of people whose first reaction is always to write and complain to Head Office, or make sure that somebody is disciplined and lose's their job.

Its as if these Head Cam things makes some cyclists take the high moral ground.

Has nobody on here never made a mistake driving or cycling ?

It beggars belief that a 'qualified' instructor could defend that pass.
It is one thing for joe public to do so, but instructors are teaching people and should be the best examples of driving practice, not the worst.

One instructor teaches maybe a few hundred people a year to emulate their actions. Their behaviour should be whiter than white so as not to pass on the notion that dangerous\inconsiderate driving is acceptable to their pupils.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Slight over reaction maybe?

Yeah, sometimes things happen, but can't you just put it down to experience and move on?

I am fascinated by the number of people whose first reaction is always to write and complain to Head Office, or make sure that somebody is disciplined and lose's their job.

Its as if these Head Camthings makes some cyclists take the high moral ground.

Has nobody on here never made a mistake driving or cycling ?

The mistake is not the issue. However, the attitude of the instructor in relation to the mistake is unacceptable.

Top Bottom