Internal geared hub question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

Is it possible to use any older Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub with an 8 spped cassette or do they have to be a certain type.
I ask because i have the chance to get an old 3 speed bike with 26 " wheels and was wondering if i could just relace the hub into a 20" wheel and buy a cassette and have a spare rear wheel.

squeaker

Über Member
No No

Don't believe so, due to the different methods of attaching sprockets to SA hubs (spring circlip) and cassettes to free-hubs / freewheels (threaded).

45cotterless

You can buy a sachs dual drive hub on ebay for about £20 plus p/p. This has a 130mm axle length and a spline to take a Shimano cassette. You'll need to pick up the control , wire to chain box and mini chain to hub seperately.
My wife has one on her Trice Explorer and it's really excellent. Grab one quick these are nos Sachs. The new Sram ones aren't worth a light.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

thanks for the replies it was an off the cuff question me being a bit tight and wanting sometrhing for nothing. I already have a trice with a 3X9 dualdrive i was looking to see if i could make up a spare wheel for bext to nowt though the 3X7 hubs on ebay look like a good buy as a spare again many thanks for the replies

Top Bottom