International football. Yawn.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I know I'm not the only person to be totally underwhelmed by this weeks' football break so that they can play some international games. I'm a season ticket holder at a certain English ground and have been for most of my life and so know hundreds of football fans yet I don't know a single person who's ever been to watch England play. The lad who sits next to me at our ground had to talk his son into going with the school to Wembley for tonight's game as he didn't want to go due to the fact only "the blerts" (his expression) would be going.

Then you saw Wales last game "attracted" 20,000 fans to an 80,000 seater stadium while Northern Ireland's game was marred by violence and the lino getting hit with a coin!

Then they've got the cheek to stop the clubs who play the players wages from playing, the better to prepare for this charade, but the same players might come back crocked (and often do) from international duty possibly spoiling their club's title/promotion/relegation bids. It's the wrong way round, surely? It's football for people who don't like football I think.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
You're not alone. I am totally underwhelmed by football in general, not just international football. :biggrin:

Greedo

hate international football and wouldn't care if Scotland got humped 5 nil by Iceland tonight. You should see all the Tartan Army fannies running about Glasgow at the moment. :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Football is something I cant get into. On occasion Iv watched a game my son wanted to see and enjoyed it to a certain degree, but if it was up to me Id turn over if there was a good film on. Just not my thing, maybe brought about when I was the steward of a football clubs bar a long time ago,and saw how the supporters club lads went on, also the way the players thought they could push to the front of the queue cos they were special.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Detest football, full stop.

I have a couple of episodes of The Wire, plus series 5 of Steptoe & Son to keep me amused tonight when a bunch of overpaid nancy-boys ponce about kicking a ball on the main channels. :biggrin:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Frank Skinner's father once told him that it wouldn't be worthwhile him getting to know any man who wasn't interested in football as he would inevitably turn out to be dull, uninteresting and vacuous.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
PaulB said:
Frank Skinner's father once told him that it wouldn't be worthwhile him getting to know any man who wasn't interested in football as he would inevitably turn out to be dull, uninteresting and vacuous.

Funnily enough, that's what the girl that taught me to surf said about football fans.

D-Rider

PaulB said:
I don't know a single person who's ever been to watch England play.

I've been to see England play. Scotland won 1-0 curtesy of Richard Gough. xx( xx(

Of course, that was a long time ago and I don't want to discuss the current relative merits of the teams. :biggrin:

I tend to agree - nowadays I'm probably more interested in the SPL than world cup qualifiers. Will still be watching tonight though.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
Funnily enough, that's what the girl that taught me to surf said about football fans.

But experience tells us that she was wrong. I'm not knocking those who don't like football; there's lots wrong with it after all. Trouble is, there's a damn sight more that's right with it and I can't leave it alone:sad:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
for me international football is a peculiar kind of self-mortification. I'm old enough to remember the '66 world cup, and I've not quite got out of the habit of hoping. I know we're going to get beat by Portugal in the quarter finals, but somehow I cannot stop myself. It's so bad that I can't watch it on television until I know the result, because the anguish of seeing our overpaid bunch of cloggers trip over each other, and the pathos of seeing Becks wheeled out one last time is all too much for me. And then...Gazza scores 'that' goal, or Rooney shoots from thirty yards out, and, momentarily I believe......only for the dull truth to sink in and in and in and in.

Is there any treatment for this condition?

U

User169

The Scotland match last weekend was sold-out and tickets were changing hands for pretty high prices.

Nevertheless, lots of the club supporters I know here won't have anything to do with the Dutch national side.

Ovingdeaner

International football is dull, I agree. So is the Premiership, Champions' League, and all that stuff where overpaid pre-madonnas strut their stuff.
But the lower leagues - it becomes fun. There's a bit of character. Of community. I support a team who used to be quite good, but are now non-league. I would never want to swap places with a fan of one of the 'big four'.
And playing football, love it.

Went to see an U-21 game a couple of years ago. Only as it was at the local stadium, and I suspect mostly there because our manager was managing the U-21 team part time as well.
Ground full and lots of noise, including child with paper horn thing blowing it for most of the length of the game 2 rows behind me :huh:. Game still didn't have the edge and involvement for me when 'my' team plays. I would have been just as happy watching it on tv, or not at all for that mater

Top Bottom