International outcry over Istanbul election re-run

LinchPin

Veteran
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48190351

The EU and leading member states have sharply criticised a decision in Turkey to re-run Istanbul's mayoral election, after a shock opposition win.

An EU spokesperson called on Turkey's electoral body to explain the controversial decision "without delay".

Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Mass called the re-run "incomprehensible".

The move was also criticised by the French government and by leading MEP Guy Verhofstadt, who said Turkey was "drifting towards dictatorship".
What's the European word for "irony" ?

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
Ironie

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
Clearly LinchPin merely wants to use the situation there to make a crap joke, that doesn't actually make any sense as soon as you look at it.

Listen, I've got a graduate student who has had to flee Turkey just because she signed a petition and will be put in jail if she returns. Oh, and this means she can't visit her sister who is in hospital with cancer. She's one of hundreds with similar stories: people who are members of opposition political parties, union activists, university professors etc. etc. So please rein in alt-right talking points and take something seriously for once.

Last edited by a moderator:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Clearly LinchPin merely wants to use the situation there to make a crap joke, that doesn't actually make any sense as soon as you look at it.

Listen, I've got a graduate student who has had to flee Turkey just because she signed a petition and will be put in jail if she returns. Oh, and this means she can't visit her sister who is in hospital with cancer. She's one of hundreds with similar stories: people who are members of opposition political parties, union activists, university professors etc. etc. So please rein in your alt-right talking points and take something seriously for once.
I never expected you to take the lazy "Alt right" accusation route. It's so sad that political discussion seems to have sunk to the level of " I hate them, therefore I'm good". Have a look at the royal baby threads to see how mean-spirited people have become.

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad
I never expected you to take the lazy "Alt right" accusation route. It's so sad that political discussion seems to have sunk to the level of " I hate them, therefore I'm good". Have a look at the royal baby threads to see how mean-spirited people have become.
Oh don't be silly. Linchy has form.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
There's nothing ironic about democratic countries and institutions criticising a virtual dictatorship for attempting to undo a poll that it lost.

You may not like Macron, but his handling of the protests in France is hardly comparable to what is happening in Turkey. It seems to me there is a French tradition of having a big punch up with the government every so often; you wouldn't dare do that in Turkey.

There is irony that some far-right and other sundry nationalists in the UK are wanting Britain to leave one of said institutions partly on the basis of a false claim that Turkey was likely to join in the near future precipitating an new invasion of immigrants (other threads are available if you disagree, not to divert this one). A government like Turkey's current one doesn't stand a snowball's chance of getting in.

What's happening in Turkey is extremely serious.

OP
LinchPin

LinchPin

Veteran
Oh don't be silly. Linchy has form.
It seems I’m in good company.

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
I don't know if you actually read my post, but I am involved in this - I have friends and students who are actual victims of the Erdogan regime and I'm also part of organisations and initiatives providing help and support for them to reach safe countries. If you want to talk about 'mean-spiritedness', you're talking to the wrong person, and I suggest you might want to revisit your priorities here. Have a nice day!

Top Bottom