Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Internet Explorer (version 8) on my Windows XP laptop stopped working yesterday. I don't know what happened, but I'd only just finished installing Windows Live (I don't know if that is related). Internet Explorer just says it can not display the webpage, yet if I click on Diagnose Connection Problems, no problems are detected. I know the connection is fine anyway because other programs (e.g. Norton and Windows updates) work over the internet. There is no Proxy server set and I've tried resetting Internet Explorer settings back to their default values, but nothing so far seems to have worked. Any ideas anyone?

crazy580

Could you try downloading another browser on a different computer and transfer it over and see if that works.

what happens if you type in the ip address to access your routers config page ?
You are using the xp firewall aren't you ? If not try switching the firewall off.
Try using IE without addons from accessories->system tools

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get me started on IE falling over, only does it with teenagers in the house................... says someone who is sick of going to fix S-I-L's PC.......

Have a good clear out of crap........... that usually causes it, and lots of stupid addins..........

Or go Firefox....... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
At last, I've found out what's causing the problem - seems there's a service (BlackICE) conflicting with IE. If I disable this service then all works well. The question is though, how do I permanently remove this service?

Er Blackice would be a security/firewall system yet you mention Norton.
How many security packages are you running on your system ?!!!
Frankly I don't bother with a software firewall above and beyond the Windows built in one in
combination with the hardware one in my modem/router.

Top Bottom