INTERNET EXPLORER SECURITY ALERT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
firefox user

Maz

Guru
Hang on. All you non-Windows users...
You still get internet access and all the usual gubbins software that you do with microsoft right?, email access, "MS-Office" equivalents etc? Do you have it on your home PC?
What if someone sends you a Word doc - how can you read/edit it etc?

mr Mag00

rising member
open office, mozilla thunderbird email client

there is a whole world on non windows out there, i use windows but nothing else MS based and may make that leap one day

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Maz said:
Hang on. All you non-Windows users...
You still get internet access and all the usual gubbins software that you do with microsoft right?, email access, "MS-Office" equivalents etc? Do you have it on your home PC?
What if someone sends you a Word doc - how can you read/edit it etc?

word for mac, although i think you can use text edit anyway.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Microsoft know about most of these flaws for years. They also know that as soon as they publish the patch people will reverse engineer it and work out where the security hole is. Therefore MS have to balance releasing the patch with publishing to the world that there is a particular flaw in their probuct and that hackers can RE the patch and exploit it before most users have installed the fix. :tongue:

Maz

Guru
Are you cutting off your nose to spite your face, you non-Windows fellas?
The world moves on with Windows and you live like hermits not able to 'talk' to the world outside.

Maz said:
The world moves on with Windows and you live like hermits not able to 'talk' to the world outside.

Maz, you can use other browsers and still use windows. I have windows XP and run firefox for my web browsing and thunderbird for my e-mail. I'm just upgrading a computer at work, and I am seriously considering using Open Office instead of word. Much cheaper and less hassle to get a hold of (no licencing issues).

The vast majority of the software I use, for work and home is of the free variety. It really is a con that you have to spend a lot of money on software...[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

barq

Maz said:

That doesn't normally turn out to be the case. OpenOffice can handle MS Office files just fine. Other common file formats (mp3, mpeg, jpeg...) aren't specific to Windows either.

Top Bottom