Intersex athletes in Women's sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Handicaps may be a fair way for the athletes themselves, but what about spectators?

Part of the "excitement" of the race is watching the struggle and competitiveness as athletes perform and one gets to the finish line first

I would have thought if you then had to wait for the times to be adjusted and it was then announced that because of the handicap that the third person to cross the line was in fact the winner would detract from this and spoil the sport for spectators

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Handicaps may be a fair way for the athletes themselves, but what about spectators?

Part of the "excitement" of the race is watching the struggle and competitiveness as athletes perform and one gets to the finish line first

I would have thought if you then had to wait for the times to be adjusted and it was then announced that because of the handicap that the third person to cross the line was in fact the winner would detract from this and spoil the sport for spectators

Well, we have some idea what the effect would be from para sport, where something similar is regularly done up to Olympic level; Jody Cundy's gold in the C4-5 TT, for example, where the results are factored to equalise the two categories.

CaadX

Spectators want entertainment from the performers they are paying. That is what you are discussing, entertainment. Sport happens elsewhere not paid and not many spectators. Not very attractive sport, unless you happen to enjoy it.

Spectators want entertainment from the performers they are paying. That is what you are discussing, entertainment. Sport happens elsewhere not paid and not many spectators. Not very attractive sport, unless you happen to enjoy it.

The OP was about Rio.

At these levels the sport and athletes rely heavily on sponsorship, which in turn relies on popularity and that in turn relies on Spectators and fans

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Several months on and the IAAF has produced its first report about androgenous athletes and the effect of testosterone on performance

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...undertake-hormone-therapy-for-future-olympics

It looks very much as though they are still leaning towards using testoerone as a cut off and requiring athletes to undergo some form of treatment in order to meet this boundary. So with everything still pending, we still hav to wait and see what the final decision will be but I can't see the stuffed blazers of the IAAF or IOC deviating too much from their view of sex and gender.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Judging by the pathetic size of the criwds at the National champs last weekend, I'm not sure that many people will give a toss either way.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Several months on and the IAAF has produced its first report about androgenous athletes and the effect of testosterone on performance

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...undertake-hormone-therapy-for-future-olympics

It looks very much as though they are still leaning towards using testoerone as a cut off and requiring athletes to undergo some form of treatment in order to meet this boundary. So with everything still pending, we still hav to wait and see what the final decision will be but I can't see the stuffed blazers of the IAAF or IOC deviating too much from their view of sex and gender.
I read the same article and couldn't help but feel uncomfortable with the idea of "treatment" for something that isn't essentially debilitating.
.. the criwds ...
Weren't they the arch enemies of Dan Dare? Showin' your age there @rich p.

Top Bottom