Intro, and question about luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helsbells

Hi all,

I have just joined as I started commuting on my bike this week! Having got the bike on monday (a Marin Pioneer), I cycled in yesterday and today, and am really gutted that I have to take the car into work tomorrow due to other comittments!

My commute is 7.5miles each way (thank you, google earth), and is reasonably flat. So far so good- is taking me about 40 minutes, and am hoping to have whittled that down significantly as I get fitter!

My problem today was that my right shoulder has been quite sore- feels like I have been doing weights or something! I am currently using a bog standard eastpak backpack- was wondering what recommendations people had for ones that are a bit better. Or messenger-stlye bag, perhaps?

Anyway, this has become a bit long and rambly. Thanks, if you got this far :smile:

Helen

Not long and rambly at all - check out politics and life....

You've got a decent bike. Put some mudguards on it, and a pannier rack, then buy a decent pannier. There are loads available, from beardy-old-men canvas Carradice (never wear out, always be repaired) to lovely flowery girly ones that you wouldn't mind being seen with off the bike. It will make your ride comfortable and even more enjoyable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Panniers are an option, or I use a Decathlon trekkers back pack Forclaz 25 Air - has air cooling so helps keep the back cooler (raises the rucksack off the back).

It's got thick straps and a waist fastener and chest fastener - so it doesn't move about. It's well made as I've been using mine for a year now, every day, all weathers. Comes with a rain cover too.

Willow

I'll be doing similar commute come Sept and am going to sort out panniers. Did trial run Sunday and took similar time, shame is main roads but decent cycleway takes me quite a bit further, perhaps by Christmas I'll be doing the long route.

OP
OP
helsbells

helsbells

I think I will look into Panniers, although I am more sold on the idea of a backpack or messenger style bag. Partly stupid aesthetic reasons, and partly for convenience once I'm at work- will be much easier to carry a backpack round than panniers. But, I am open to new things.

So- how hard are panniers to fit? More importantly, how much stuff can I get into them? Change of clothes/ shoes and all my other accoutrements (purse, phone, diary, etc.)?

Perhaps I should start by thinking about carrying less crap :smile:

Gah- keep the reccommendations/ opinions coming... this is all new to me!

Panniers are easy to fit, although the rack can be a bit fiddly if you haven't already got one. You can get loads in them too: I used to carry my size 12 steel toed boots and a change of clothes, plus a book and my lunch in one, or enough stuff for a week away in a truck. Much, much better than a rucksack, if you're planning on commuting regularly.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.:smile:

Keith Oates

Janner
Once you get into a regular routine with the commute you may find that some items you don't want and that will reduce the weight and size of bag/backpack. I do 50Km per day and use a small backpack which I find to be no bother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it as well as the riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HelenD123

Guru
Hi Helen. Welcome to the forum from another Helen!

I have one of these http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product/0/pbc318/creek2peakcityslicker1briefcasepannierbag.html

I can fit in a change of clothes, and a pair of shoes if necessary but i try to leave these at work. There's still room left for my purse, phone and lunch. I much prefer it to the panniers I have because its got pockets so I'm not scrabbling round trying to find my keys and I can still use it on the days I don't cycle so don't have to keep switching my stuff between bags.

also depends if you have showers etc at work.

I use a rucksack and all I carry is my lunch and the clothes for the day. I am lucky that I have a locker at work where I can keep my foot wear shower gel etc.

I change my towel on the days I drive (when im back into cycling that is)

So the minimum is carried. Personally for me my biggest problem is carrying my wallet, small change, mobile phone etc. In the end I got a lunch box that I carry it all in!

Welcome to the forums, Im a newbie myself and enjoy

Adrian

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
There are loads available, from beardy-old-men canvas Carradice (never wear out, always be repaired) to lovely flowery girly ones that you wouldn't mind being seen with off the bike. It will make your ride comfortable and even more enjoyable.

<ahem!> As a lady myself, I'd rather be seen with a nice Carradice off the bike, than anything flowery...:becool:

Helen, I'd recommend a pannier myself, once you have a rack fitted. The choice is vast, so you can go for pockets and the like, or just have one big space. I'm also prone to carrying my life about, I generaly use a smallish single pannier in which goes a minimum of pump, lights, tools (way more than I'll ever need pootling about town), bungy strap in case it comes in handy, lunchbox, probably my camera and backup hard drive thingy, and if I'm not wearing it, my cycling jacket. And i could still squeeze in a pair of shoes if I had to. Stuff like mobile phone and money I carry in jeans pockets, or a bumbag if not wearing the jeans, or in the back pocket of my coat - just so they are handy. If I think I'll be going shopping on the way home, I carry the other pannier of the pair empty with me as well. Both have shoulder straps to carry them off the bike, and they just lift off the rack in about 2 seconds. I think they are Vaude, or Altura, I can't remember. They won't have been very pricy, I'm sure - I've had them ages. They also do duty when I'm on holiday or touring. I just carried the stuff for nearly 3 weeks in France in the pair of them - and that included a change of shoes, and a couple of superflous teashirts...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Work out what you want of your panniers: you can get some with a pocket inside for a laptop for instance. If you want guaranteed waterproofness then look at Ortliebs but the Carradice already mentioned are very good.

I have an Altura Arran (I think) rack bag - this is smaller than a pannier but I can fit a change of clothes in it, plus lunch, a lock, a book for the train......etc.....

I got this bag precisely so i could carry it off the bike as a normal bag - it comes with a detachable shoulder strap. The 'landing strip' thing that attaches to the rack can be easily transfered onto another bike. The whole thing is pretty strong, with velcro and three clips to hold it in place. It's fairly waterproof, though I use a cover when it's really throwing it down (it didn't come with the bag, but it's exactly the right size - I think it's a Topeak one).

Tynan

Veteran
I ride with a single Ortlieb and it's perfect for me, easily disconnects, has a carry handle and a shoulder strap, relatively pricey but the quality and design is excellent, and famously waterproof

OP
OP
helsbells

helsbells

You guys are very helpful! Well, looks like I will be going for some panniers. Sadly can't afford them at the mo, so have managed to adjust packpack so it's pretty OK and will do the job for now.

Top Bottom