Inverness to Ullapool on A835.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Looking for advice on cycling this road as part of a tour. I have driven it before, but it was a few years ago and I can't remember how busy it was, or if it is over-run with heavy traffic. I am really not a fan of cycling along narrow trunk routes with HGVs passing within inches! Especially when I will be on this road for about 40 miles. I know I can use the A832 (??) westbound out of Inverness, but you eventually do have to link up to the A835.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've cycled that route in bad weather and it was fine. in scotland the only road I would avoid is the A9 into inverness (after that is ok), now that is a busy road, I had drivers on it waving at me to get on the cycle path!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've cycled that route in bad weather and it was fine. in scotland the only road I would avoid is the A9 into inverness (after that is ok), now that is a busy road, I had drivers on it waving at me to get on the cycle path!

Thanks for that. Another road I wouldn't cycle is the other end of the A9, between Perth and Stirling. Fast, busy dual carriageway with tight lanes and no hard shoulder, plus a constant stream of HGVs. Yet I have seen some brave souls cycling it :ohmy:.

lpretro1

I did Ulapool to Garve then got on the train there. It was a good quiet road. Probbaly busy when yuo get to Inverness but I should imaging there are cycle paths there - I know there are over the big bridge.

I cycled it a couple of years ago from Ulapool to Inverness, Just after Contin at Moy Bridge I took the A832 to Muir of Ode stayed on it until I could take the C road to Milton which runs alongside the Beauly Firth to North Kessock then up onto the A9 and crossed the Bridge, I found the Cycle path across the bridge was covered in Rubbish most of which would harm your tyres.

snorri

Legendary Member
It can be a bit unpleasant in summer, particularly on the twisty section between Contin and Garve, with tourist traffic mixed with lorries and buses rushing to/from the ferry terminal at Ullapool. I would certainly recommend the route described by Ticktockmy.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Thanks for that. Another road I wouldn't cycle is the other end of the A9, between Perth and Stirling. Fast, busy dual carriageway with tight lanes and no hard shoulder, plus a constant stream of HGVs. Yet I have seen some brave souls cycling it :ohmy:.

agreed

I've done it years ago the other way around. I remember that the section around Inverness was quite busy but the rest was just fine. Like many A roads up there, traffic seems to pass in convoys with the slowest at the front. That was in August as well and it definitely was not as busy as something like the A82 to Fort William. It's a pleasant ride once you get outside Inverness

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I drove it a few weeks ago- nice and quiet.

Top Bottom