iPad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, Apples new iPad. What do you think?
Looks like an oversized iPhone / iPod touch to me. I'm struggling to think of what use it might be to me. Too big to carry around (have a G1 phone for that) and no proper keyboard for...errrr....posting on here ;)
Can't see it costing $499 either when it gets here.

It starts at $499 for 16GB, 32GB for $599, and $699 64GB. Adding 3G costs a $130 per model, so the most expensive model (64GB / 3G) is $829. The WiFi-only model will ship in 60 days, and the 3G models will come in 90.

No voice calling, sms app or multi-tasking ;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think they've gone mad, but that's apple for you. They'll sell because the apple brand will make people buy them even though CES had loads of people wandering around saying yeah tablets and slates, they are better but what use are they and where do they fit in in the grander scheme of things.

No keyboard is not necessarily a flaw in the consume-content-kind-of-way.

P.S. I'm glad it's over, was getting fed up of the endless jokes about Jesus tablets and one tablet to rule them all.

marinyork said:
I think they've gone mad, but that's apple for you. They'll sell because the apple brand will make people buy them even though CES had loads of people wandering around saying yeah tablets and slates, they are better but what use are they and where do they fit in in the grander scheme of things.

No keyboard is not necessarily a flaw in the consume-content-kind-of-way.

There is a definite user case......posting to CC whilst on the loo. This is also why they opted not to include a camera

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Tollers said:
There is a definite user case......posting to CC whilst on the loo. This is also why they opted not to include a camera

lol. I know there is a user case, people have been using them for years. The whole point about is that all those worries that got voiced at CES get done away with a magic wand, but that's the apple way.

I thought the exchange stuff I got hold recently for FTTx was much bigger news.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I am sure it will look very pretty and work well... but you will pay for the privilege.
I don't like Apple's 'lock everything down' tactics either ;)

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
This thread does not need pictures.

I'm sure Apple will sell shedloads of them, because it looks good and its an 'i'something from Apple. But I can't help but think that they could end up with an electronic version of the sandwich toaster. Looks a good idea when you buy one, gets used all the time for a few months then less as time goes on as you get bored of sandwiches and can't be bothered to keeping getting it out of the cupboard. And you realise baguettes make nicer cheese sandwiches anyway.

darkstar

I think it looks like a beautiful piece of kit, very smooth and it will be a great showoff item. I, like many others however already have a iPhone and macbooc so can't see the point of this.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
perfect for people like mrs alecetc, who only uses the laptop for web and email. i use it for graphic design and video editing (and the rest) so i need a proper macbook.

it would save us arguing over it…

rh100

It sure looks nice. Apple do what they do well, since the imac (purple monitor anyone?) - they repackage and simplify things for the masses, making a nice consumer product. Tablets have been around for ages, pda style phones were around for ages before the iphone - they just made them trendy (admittedly helped along by MS's diabolical windows mobile - great for pda but shite as a phone).

darkstar

The main advantages i can see involve using it to read books (online books are becoming more and more popular), watch films and play games.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It won't replace any of the kit that I currently own nor will it supplement any exiting functionality of my current kit so there's no point in my showing further interest in it.

Top Bottom