iPod recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

I'm thinking of getting an iPod and wonder if there are any particular models to get or pitfalls to avoid?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Depends what you want it for. The 4th Gen Nano isn't especially pocket friendly. The problem with the Classic is the brand new stock only comes in 120Gb now (discounting the vast amount of old stock floating around). I'd also be worried about whether the aluminium scratches (I don't know, just saying as an observation) on 6th Gen. What sort of money were you thinking of spending, how practical does it have to be and do you want it for video and other stuff?

Jim_Noir

As Marinyork says, depends what you want it for. I have 2, a 2nd Gen iPod photo, must be going on 8 years I have had it and no issues with it. Have a shuffle for running and cycling, as the other one is a bit of a brick!

the shuffle works by not knowing whats on there, you just dump music on and let it play - a function available on all other iPods.

brilliant if you just want some music while out for a jog etc

i've got a 4GB Nano (second gen i think, the one before it did video) i prefer this because its still small but i can create playlists, select a specific song, album, artist or genre

MajorMantra

Renard said:
Was thinking a 2gb shuffle. Recommended?

I think the new shuffles have the controls built into the headphone wire. Since the headphones are usually the part that fails I wouldn't get it. The previous generation shuffle might be a better choice if that's the style of ipod you're after.

I have a 2nd gen (I think) Nano which is great. I think the Nanos are the most useful combination of functions and size.

Matthew

Helly79

we are a 4 ipod family we like each of them for different reasons, I like my 3 gen 2Gb shuffle because it small great for cycling and walking. the only draw back is that you cannot tell what track you are on. I am not to keen on the new shuffle as you have to use the ipod earphones because the controls are on the wire. My hubby just purchased an ipod touch which he is very pleased with, he has downloaded free games and also cheap ones at 59p. The 80gb classic is brilliant because it can store all our music, piccy, etc, but we do find the 80gb laggy. Our very first Ipod was 1st gen mini and it still going strong but needs a new battery its fantastic for its speed on getting to the next track.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've got the original nano, the slip oblong one, and some of my cycle tops have got pockets that exactly fit it. they changed the shape of it to a more square version soon after i got mine but my mate has got an updated nano and its the same shape but i'm not sure what generation it is. but anyway, the oblong nano one fits "phone" pockets best

marinyork

The edges of the 2nd narrow are fairly sharp. They do not go very well in pockets at all. The 3rd gen nano was the wider and less tall one with very smooth edges. The 4th gen nano is similar dimensions to the first two generations, a fraction less wide, but with smooth edges on the side and fairly sharp edges on the end.

marinyork said:
The edges of the 2nd narrow are fairly sharp. They do not go very well in pockets at all. The 3rd gen nano was the wider and less tall one with very smooth edges. The 4th gen nano is similar dimensions to the first two generations, a fraction less wide, but with smooth edges on the side and fairly sharp edges on the end.

the second gen nano has rounded edges, the first gen has the sharp edges, 3rd was the almost square one, 4th is being sold now.

the 4th has a curve to the front and rear too the 2nd gen had flat front and rear.

marinyork

Yes, if Black Sheep had bothered to read my post and apply some common sense rather than be a smart arse they'd see I was referring to the length edges "narrow" on the second ipod. They are sharp. Black Sheep said they are not which is wrong. The edges on the first are actually the smooth ones, relatively, unless you're talking 3rd.

Saying the 4th is on sale is also misleading as it's quite easy to get hold of earlier generation ones. Also quoting aspects of the 4th is a bit misleading since we were talking how well they went in pockets. The 2nd doesn't go well in pockets in the sense of edges being sharp.

Top Bottom