Is 5 a day good science?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoof

Just made a visit to my Doctor, and he was most insistent that I must have “the 5 a day medicine”
blush.gif

I have always believed in a well balanced diet, protein, carb, plus some fat eaten with lots of vegetables.
Now I have heard about 5 a day, I think we all have but, I cant find out much about the science that underpins it.
My doctor said that there were 5 main reasons but would not go into them.

I would to like to hear about the main science reasoning, behind this medical approach.
Is this real science?
Or some doctors fantasy: interfering in peoples lives?

amaferanga

Veteran
I think it should be 7 a day or 9 a day or something, but the powers that be decided that that'd be too much healthy food for your average person so the settled on 5 a day. I don't believe there is any good science underpinning 5 a day.

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

I think it should be 7 a day or 9 a day or something, but the powers that be decided that that'd be too much healthy food for your average person so the settled on 5 a day. I don't believe there is any good science underpinning 5 a day.

Hi amaferanga that’s my own first instinct.

What I need is info, to make a better assessment!

yello

I think, if one's going to be anal about it, it probably depends on the nature of the 5 (or 7 or 9 or whatever) too. 5 bananas is probably not what is meant. It's 'rule of thumb' advice probably based on the notion that some fruit/veg on a daily basis is better than none - which is probably pretty hard to argue with. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no science involved with the number at all. It being just a arbitrary value agreed upon by concerned parties for the purposes of a health campaign. No bad thing in truth, even if not spot-on science.

My wife was telling me a about a '6 a day' campaign that she remembers, relating to bread; 2 slices at breakfast, 2 at dinner, 2 at supper. Not sure you'd find too many people giving that advice today! It worries me sometimes does the advice that some nutritionists give out; it's based on what they learnt years ago.

siadwell

Guru
I've wondered myself about the science behind this (and specifically why potatoes don't count as one of the five a day!).

Wikipedia has a succinct summary:

5 A Day is the name of a number of programs in various countries, especially the United States and the United Kingdom, to encourage the consumption of at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day, following requests by the World Health Organization to consume at least 400g of vegetables daily.

The program received a lot of media attention in the United Kingdom due to the high and rising costs of fresh fruit and vegetables.

In April 2010, the results of a major study involving 500,000 people in Europe suggested that five-a-day had little impact on reducing cancer.

Scanning the first few pages of the WHO report, it looks like:
Fruit and veg are good for you. People are eating processed foods instead of fruit and veg. Let's encourage everyone in the world to each more fruit and veg.

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

I think, if one's going to be anal about it, it probably depends on the nature of the 5 (or 7 or 9 or whatever) too. 5 bananas is probably not what is meant. It's 'rule of thumb' advice probably based on the notion that some fruit/veg on a daily basis is better than none - which is probably pretty hard to argue with. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no science involved with the number at all. It being just a arbitrary value agreed upon by concerned parties for the purposes of a health campaign. No bad thing in truth, even if not spot-on science.

My wife was telling me a about a '6 a day' campaign that she remembers, relating to bread; 2 slices at breakfast, 2 at dinner, 2 at supper. Not sure you'd find too many people giving that advice today! It worries me sometimes does the advice that some nutritionists give out; it's based on what they learnt years ago.
Hi I totally agree with your persuasions on food.

But 5 a day is big Doctor movement: why?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It worries me sometimes does the advice that some nutritionists give out.

Quite. It's wise to ignore all of it. Speaking of which, if I'd ever stopped putting salt in or on my food, I might start again following today's news...

JohnHenry

Loose member.
Five reasons to get five portions
  • Fruit and vegetables taste delicious and there's so much variety to choose from.
  • They're a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C and potassium.
  • They're an excellent source of dietary fibre, which helps maintain a healthy gut and prevent constipation and other digestion problems. A diet high in fibre can also reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
  • They can help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
  • Fruit and vegetables contribute to a healthy and balanced diet.
It's the World Health Organisation who came up with this and the science is, at best, a bit sketchy but - the theory goes - that it is better to fill up on fruit juice, fruit and veg than with the other sh*t that is available. Why fight it - you know it makes sense and doctor always knows best, right? :rolleyes:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Speaking of which, if I'd ever stopped putting salt in or on my food, I might start again following today's news...

I'll carrying on putting salt on my food but not feeling quite so guilty - looking forward to good news on the healthy butter front now!

OP
OP
Zoof

Zoof

I've wondered myself about the science behind this (and specifically why potatoes don't count as one of the five a day!).

Wikipedia has a succinct summary:

5 A Day is the name of a number of programs in various countries, especially the United States and the United Kingdom, to encourage the consumption of at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day, following requests by the World Health Organization to consume at least 400g of vegetables daily.

The program received a lot of media attention in the United Kingdom due to the high and rising costs of fresh fruit and vegetables.

In April 2010, the results of a major study involving 500,000 people in Europe suggested that five-a-day had little impact on reducing cancer.

Scanning the first few pages of the WHO report, it looks like:
Fruit and veg are good for you. People are eating processed foods instead of fruit and veg. Let's encourage everyone in the world to each more fruit and veg.
Thanks siadwell I don't eat much processed foods
I eat lots veg to keep my blood sugar level
It's being order too sticks in my craw

Davidc

Guru
I once read that 5 a day comes from a Californian fruit juice advert.

There's no science behind the alcohol limits either from what I've read - It was said they were plucked from nowhere by a civil servant who thought they sounded about right.

I refuse to take any notice of 5 a day, I've never seen any reason why some civil servant should tell me I should eat less fruit - I'll carry on regardless as I always have at around 10 portions a day.

(A dietician did say to me that I was the first person she'd ever told they should eat less fruit)

Top Bottom