Is a full road bike quicker ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

I am trying to improve my average over my seven mile commute, best is 17.5, last night I did 16.9, I am using a Cannondale Hybrid and am going to start looking for a Road Bike in anticipation of the CTW scheme coming round again soon.

I am not getting to fixated on the average but like it as a good indicator of progress, I reckon if I can do that elusive 20 mph average I will be happy and forget about it.

Anyone gone from a Hybrid to a full on roadie and did you go any faster, what were the other benefits or downsides, also, any suggestions on what to get up to a grand seeing as its "on the drip" :blush:

I am thinking that it wont make much difference really, mainly as its down to actual effort, small advantage from being a bit lighter, aerodynamic advantage of the lower bars and riding position, cant see 5mm narrower tyres makign much difference.

What I was thinking is ride wise, if a roadie is softer/better riding than my frankly rock hard Cannondale it may allow higher speeds over marginal surfaces or do the skinny wheels mean you have to take it easier ?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Do the Tour de France riders race on hybrids ?

Jake

hi, i went from MTB to road bike, is that what they are called. you know, a racer. Much much better, fater. yes bumpy and very different handeling, but in the 4months of having it, i'#ve not looked back. (until this week wher its in the shop being repaird lol)

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Do the Tour de France riders race on hybrids ?

Yes, but to be fair, Lance Armstrong isnt a podgy 38 year old Database Administrator :blush:

Road bikes are bumpier - but they're also faster.

some hybrids are quite badly designed, intended for a slow pootle to the shops

my average speed varies a fair amount on the same route between 15mph and 25mph on my road bike, prior to that it was 12mph to 15mph on a mountain bike.

you'll be able to get the power down easier due to the riding position compared to the hybrid that'll have a more upright riding position.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Changed from hybrid to race bike recently. I don't use the racebike for commuting though. The racebike is a hell of a lot faster. I'd say the race bike is more comfortable and fun to ride. Minor bumps are more noticeable but other than that the racebike is more comfortable in just about every way. It changes your cycling lines through roads, you just cannot do some of the mega poor urban surfaces. That might be seen as a downside. Another downside is it's a problem getting 100% out of the racebike. You really need race pedals rather than SPDs and to get it into the higher gears.

The biggest problem with the racebike is really that you don't feel exercised at all. You go along, post a time faster than you could possibly do on the hybrid and the legs don't hurt and you aren't tired. If you have hills it gets even sillier as you can do the roadie's conserving energy trick by going slightly slower up a hill than you would be on the hybrid but using virtually no energy.

RedBike

I am thinking that it wont make much difference really, mainly as its down to actual effort,
Sadly yes it is down to effort. However, a good road bike will turn more of that effort into speed. There's probably not much in at low speeds, but if you're pushing hard then you should start to really notice the difference between bikes.

small advantage from being a bit lighter, aerodynamic advantage of the lower bars and riding position,
There's nothing small about the areodynamic advantage. At 20mph something like 95% of the resistance you're experiancing is due to wind resistance (can't remember the actual figure). Simply going from riding on the top (like a hybrid) to riding on the drop bars will give you an extra mile per hour or two. Weight doesn't make a big difference on the hills but it is suprisingly noticable on the hills.

cant see 5mm narrower tyres makign much difference.
Changing to narrower lighter (and higher pressure) tyres will probably have the most effect on the bike. Changing the tyres on your hybrid from say 30mm to 23mms (I don't know what they currently are) will make a huge difference to the way it rides.

I've recently went from hybrid to road bike. On the first few outings I remember thinking, 'oh this is a bit wobbly'. However, I also noticed that I had gained a new ability to accelerate where previously I 'slowly cranked up the speed'.

Now, the wobblyness has gone and has been replaced with responsiveness. It really is a joy to ride my road bike. I have had some discomfort niggles, but I think I am starting to resolve those.

I hate the days now when the weather is poor and I go back on the hybrid. It feels like a lump of lead. In fact, if I could afford it I would get a poor weather road bike and be shot of the hybrid altogether!

jimboalee

Don't try to put up a PB on roads which are also inhabited by cars, buses, trucks, vans, motorbikes and other cyclists.

That's if you don't have a Garmin.

One day, you will push that little bit too hard and come a cropper.

If you do have a Garmin, there are post process tricks that filter out all the stops and slow riding, which gives you a 'cruising average' rather than an overall average.

ShinSplint

marinyork said:
The biggest problem with the racebike is really that you don't feel exercised at all. You go along, post a time faster than you could possibly do on the hybrid and the legs don't hurt and you aren't tired. If you have hills it gets even sillier as you can do the roadie's conserving energy trick by going slightly slower up a hill than you would be on the hybrid but using virtually no energy.

Well then you're not working hard enough, you're simply settling for an equal or slightly faster time, and enjoying the easier ride.

If you work as hard on the race bike as you do on the hybrid, you'll get much quicker times, I thought that was the idea...

jimboalee

ShinSplint said:
Well then you're not working hard enough, you're simply settling for an equal or slightly faster time, and enjoying the easier ride.

If you work as hard on the race bike as you do on the hybrid, you'll get much quicker times, I thought that was the idea...

I've NEVER seen a hybrid on a 200 km Rando.

Roadrace bikes, - easier for the same speed. This is NOT a problem MarinYork, its an advantage.

PS Roadrace bikes have a lower....... Cd....Take a sip from the grail. ;)

jimboalee

Coming to think about it, my Apollo County is 33lb. 26" big tyres and a Sturmey 3 speed.
My SWorks is HALF the weight. No wonder it's faster......;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ShinSplint said:

(a) I've not had it long
(;) there is no speedometer fitted
(c) I don't have road shoes as I've already stated
(d) Same number of idiots on the roads. You simply cannot go that fast in some urban situations, it's too dangerous. You need to get it out in the countryside and at quieter times to really put the power down.

From the point of view of climbing hills in a group I do find the racebike very annoying as you dawdle along at their pace with no effort rather than enjoying the hill peddling like a hamster on the hybrid.

Top Bottom