Is it annual nutter day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today's commute home

1 x car going straight through red (over 30 seconds after the lights changed) on a major road

1 x Car on same major road with no lights switched on

1 x Car turning right from the bottom of London Road HERE (car's view), through a bus gate and onto St Mary's gate. Taxis held up behind blasting horns so he spots a gap just after I'd passed and roars through with tyres squealing, god knows how the cyclist (well illuminated) behind me managed to avoid being roadkill, and lucky no-one was crossing on St Mary's gate on the green man

2 x Cars parked outside a takeaway HERE breaking 3 rules in 1 - (1) obstructing the pavement (2) on pedestrian crossing approach zig-zags (3) opposite a junction *

1 x Car pulling straight out in front of me from Wolesley Road despite my having more than adequate front lighting and introducing a slight weave into my path on the junction approach as a recommended technique to reduce the risk of such pull-outs due to the "looming" phenomenon

Of course the real menace on the road was the cyclist wearing hi-vis who as I passed I let him know that the batteries in his rear light were just about gone. Bloody hooligan - something wants doing about these cyclists before they kill someone, thinking that they are above the rules
icon_rolleyes.gif

* the spot where the 2 cars ae parked is getting a regular flashpoint for me. I have 2 videos on Youtube from that point and will probably collect more - just so long as it's only videos I collect!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Avoid Meadowhall too in the annual silly season. One Asian male in a BMW 3 series doing over 60 in a 40 zone passed me on the nearside today before cutting back in with inches to spare. He had to stop at the next set of lights anyway so all his energy went out through his brakes. He risked his own life as well as that of other road users for nothing.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Avoid Meadowhall too in the annual silly season. One Asian male in a BMW 3 series doing over 60 in a 40 zone passed me on the nearside today before cutting back in with inches to spare. He had to stop at the next set of lights anyway so all his energy went out through his brakes. He risked his own life as well as that of other road users for nothing.

I avoid that place as much as possible, be it on bike, tram or in car. Though especially now there are some complete idiots out there and the shopper traffic just makes them worse

Peter88

Veteran
Same in North Manchester today

Had to swerve to avoid Blue Clio turning right out of my works car park.

Swerved again to avoid female in black Citroen c3 doing a 180 on a mini roundabout with no lights on, I only entered
the roundabout because i didn't see her untill too late.

Going through Daisy nook nearly went into the back of anothe cyclist wearing black and no lights on his bike, He even told me to look where i was going!!!!

- Baz -

... Going through Daisy nook nearly went into the back of anothe cyclist wearing black and no lights on his bike, He even told me to look where i was going!!!!
Cheeky barsteward. I commute via Coal Pit Lane which as you know is unlit. Like bloody wacky races. Had one or two hairy moments with ninja cyclists - and peds dressed in black. Nutters!

taxing

1 x Car on same major road with no lights switched on

Yesterday I was on a cycle path around a really busy roundabout, trying to cross the road. It was just one long stream of headlights, and I got so blinded by just seeing these bright lights in the darkness that when I spotted a gap I went for it without noticing that it was just some dozy twat in a Land Rover who hadn't turned their headlights on. It wasn't even dusk, it was full on pitch black! I braked in time, but they must have seen me (I had my lights on, funnily enough) and they still didn't switch their lights on. Maybe thought I was suicidal, then got cold feet.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Cheeky barsteward. I commute via Coal Pit Lane which as you know is unlit. Like bloody wacky races. Had one or two hairy moments with ninja cyclists - and peds dressed in black. Nutters!

I hadn't realised that it is now illegal to wear black clothes when going about one's normal business.

Must make a mental note.

:huh::rolleyes:

Sam

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well said Sam. Victim blaming at its worst.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I hadn't realised that it is now illegal to wear black clothes when going about one's normal business.

Must make a mental note.

:huh::rolleyes:

Sam

It's not illegal to go hiking in jeans, trainers and a T-shirt, but I see it all the time in some pretty remote areas of The Peak District.

Dressing inappropriately is all very well until something happens, by then it may be too late.

Still, some people deserve to be removed from the gene pool, fatal road accidents can be seen as a form of modern evolution sometimes.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
It's not illegal to go hiking in jeans, trainers and a T-shirt, but I see it all the time in some pretty remote areas of The Peak District.

Dressing inappropriately is all very well until something happens, by then it may be too late.

Still, some people deserve to be removed from the gene pool, fatal road accidents can be seen as a form of modern evolution sometimes.

I'm not sure whether it's even worth pointing out how going hiking in the hills in a t-shirt and trainers is not remotely like being out after dark, on foot, near where you live/work/shop.

I'm sure the families of the those who are killed on the roads every year can comfort themselves with the thought that some of them deserve it, even if all they were doing was walking home from the shops without dressing up like a radioactive lemon.

Sam

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
It's definitely "night/bad weather" bringing them out

peanut in a white van pulls alongside me (1 lane, I'm in primary) - there is less than a van length between me and the car in front - he has to pull back and does so revving his engine in annoyance - and as the lights we are approaching change I continue to keep up with traffic (and that's not the "almost" keep up, that's the "freewheel and feather brakes now and again" kind of keep up. 1/4 mile up the road I need to turn right - I am in primary in the outside lane, there is a clear bus lane to the left - I signal right in good time, as I slow down he "tells me off" for my earlier "getting in his way" by roaring past as close as possible, even though there is a whole empty lane to use to steer around

Not worth posting video..too dark and distorted by lights in the wet/fog

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I wasn't referring to pavements, lots of runners where I live seem to think it's OK to run down unlit country lanes with their backs to traffic.

I don't drive or cycle on pavements so wear what you want, don't use the roads unless you can be seen.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I wasn't referring to pavements, lots of runners where I live seem to think it's OK to run down unlit country lanes with their backs to traffic.

I don't drive or cycle on pavements so wear what you want, don't use the roads unless you can be seen.

Okay - but I think you should have made that more plain, given that your comment was a direct response to Ravenbait's characterization of people "going about one's normal business", which to me certainly does include walking on pavements.

Top Bottom