Is it just me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Is it just me or is anyone else getting more than their fair share of punctures? Two in the space of a week for me, doing my nut right in!

Cheers,

Col

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
thanks for hexing everybody xx(

In all seriousness, it's been all the damp wet weather we have have had. All sorts of nasties stick to the tyres and work their way in.

spence

Über Member
Had my first one on the road yesterday, only had the bike a couple of weeks. Left quite a hole in the tyre. Didn't think you'd supposed to get them on tarmac.

Most of the mountain bike wheel sets are tubless with a squirt of latex so have got out of the habit. Anything similar for road wheels???

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Got my 1st one last Sunday! No tube, repair kit or Pump. So I had to call the wife and thus dismantle the bike to fit it into our car.

I got my second one yesterday. Promptly changed the tube, but for some reason my new mini pump valve was faulty!! So stuck yet again:angry: I decided to walk it home as I was only a few miles from home. I only got a few hundred yards when a roadie stopped and offered to inflate my tyre. Fantastic!! saved!!

I dont know if he uses this site as I never got his name so cant check but I would like to say thanks anyway. SO THANKS.;)

Col

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
colcazal said:
Got my 1st one last Sunday! No tube, repair kit or Pump. So I had to call the wife and thus dismantle the bike to fit it into our car.

I got my second one yesterday. Promptly changed the tube, but for some reason my new mini pump valve was faulty!! So stuck yet again:angry: I decided to walk it home as I was only a few miles from home. I only got a few hundred yards when a roadie stopped and offered to inflate my tyre. Fantastic!! saved!!

I dont know if he uses this site as I never got his name so cant check but I would like to say thanks anyway. SO THANKS.:thumbsup:

Col

you've invoked the law of sod there :sad:

saty

it's not just you... i got 3 the other night on the ride home... i had 2 spare tubes and got the 3rd 100 mt's from my house :smile: nigthmare journey home!!! :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
maybe time for a tyre change. unless i've been over some real obvious p-material, a p-incident is usually the sign that the kevlar in the tyre is not keeping stuff away from the tube.

alternatively (as i've also had recently), the rim tape may have slipped/perished and the tube is puncturing on the spoke hole.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Multiple flats, when they aren't due to witches, usually happen because the original object wasn't removed or you pinched the new or repaired tube putting the tyre back on -- tyre irons should'nt be used to accomplish that.

You should also check that the rim tape is in place and in good repair.

Flats can also be avoided by regulary checking for and removing small objects -- glass shards, etc. -- from the tyre rubber ... before they work their way right through the casing.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Yeah I always check my tyre before putting the tube back in. I normally do the daft thing and run my finger round the inside to check for sharp bits, daft I know but I always find them.!!

Cheers, 9fingers col

Randochap

Senior hunter
colcazal said:
Yeah I always check my tyre before putting the tube back in. I normally do the daft thing and run my finger round the inside to check for sharp bits, daft I know but I always find them.!!

Cheers, 9fingers col

Not a good idea. One of my colleagues at a bike shop did this last year and found himself with the end of a broken-off hypodermic needle in his finger!

Needlesss to say, he spent a week on pins and needles, waiting for the results of blood tests to come back.

Just use your eyes (not in close contact).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank you very much.. I bleedin' well told you that you had given us the hex. Flippin P******e on my commute home..
Please feel free never to bring this subject up again

ianrauk said:
thanks for hexing everybody :biggrin:

Top Bottom