Is it possible for a car tyre to catch light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its not really a commuting thread but last night when heading up the hill from Inverkeithing to Dunfermline a car overtook me. I thought nothing of it at first it wasn't particularly wide or close. Then an astra (or something) came speeding down the hill and when he saw the overtaking car the astra driver completely over reacted, slammed on his brakes (there was plenty of room :biggrin:), locked up and skidded for a bit but recovered. When he did so I thought I seen a flash from a spark ? under his right tyre, did I imagine it?

It does if you cover it in WD40 and put a match to it!!

Seriously though, bit of flint/rock trapped in the tyre – friction on the road surface could cause a spark…

yello

What, catch light like a solar panel? Don't think so. Oh, sorry, catch alight! :biggrin:

Like I'm in a position to pick someone up! Stones and glass houses and all that. Sorry, I was genuinely confused when I read the thread title :laugh:

J4CKO

probably a stone as has been mentioned but may have been a very worn tyre with the steel bands showing through.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few years back I was riding up the climb of the Keighley Road out of Hebden Bridge when I heard a vehicle coming up behind me making a strange noise. I looked over my shoulder and saw that smoke was billowing out of its nearside rear tyre. I tried flagging down the driver but she completely ignored me and carried on past me. As she went by I saw that the tyre was flat and was dragging along the road. :ohmy:

It is 3 miles to the top of the hill from there and when I got to the summit, I saw the woman standing next to her vehicle and using a fire extinguisher on the now burning tyre!

I stopped to offer assistance and established that:
  1. She hadn't noticed that the vehicle's handling was bad.
  2. She hadn't seen the smoke in her rear-view mirror.
  3. She had no recollection of driving past a cyclist who had been waving frantically and pointing at the back of the vehicle.
  4. She'd only stopped at the top of the hill because she smelled the smoke!

This was in the days before mobile phones so I took her husband's work telephone number and rode home to ring him and give him the good news. He wasn't a happy fellow when I explained that his wife had almost burned out their vehicle by driving up a 4 mile hill on a flat tyre... ;)

Ben M

ColinJ said:
I stopped to offer assistance and established that:
  1. She was a she

^summarised :wacko:

I saw 5th gear the other day, there were two women on it who were asked to check their oil. The first couldn't locate the dipstick. The second located it, unscrewed the oil cap from the car, and then tried to measure her oil level by inserting the dipstick into there.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
^summarised :wacko:

I saw 5th gear the other day, there were two women on it who were asked to check their oil. The first couldn't locate the dipstick. The second located it, unscrewed the oil cap from the car, and then tried to measure her oil level by inserting the dipstick into there.
This is why we need a "Dislike" button. Sexist bullcrack.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What on earth were you doing to uncover a thread from 7 years ago, and to comment on a post from someone not seen in 2 years?
I know the answer to that - I linked to my post above in the thread that Drago started today about somebody with a burning car.

PS In my original post, I wasn't implying that the driver was stupid because she was a she. The driver in question just happened to be stupid! If it had been the husband driving and I'd had to phone his wife at work to get her to sort the problem out, then I would be implying that he was stupid! :okay:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
What on earth were you doing to uncover a thread from 7 years ago, and to comment on a post from someone not seen in 2 years?
I know the answer to that - I linked to my post above in the thread that Drago started today about somebody with a burning car.

PS In my original post, I wasn't implying that the driver was stupid because she was a she. The driver in question just happened to be stupid! If it had been the husband driving and I'd had to phone his wife at work to get her to sort the problem out, then I would be implying that he was stupid! :okay:
^this. 'tis Colin's fault, he made me do it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4499863, member: 9609"]it doesnt seem to be as common now with discs, I remember one night smoke coming off a trailer, took a look the drum was cherry red, it didnt ignite or blow the tyre, but you could see how easy it could happen - drums were horrible for overheating and fading.[/QUOTE]
I have had it where the wheel nuts glowed red in the dark because of the heat.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Response from Ben M:

I've said and done things I regret, and the words released today on this almost-a-decade-old post are one of them.

"Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong and I apologise. I’ve traveled the country talking about bicycles, but my travels have also changed me. I've spent time with cyclists facing headwinds, people who have been passed by lycra louts on Carbon machines, and people from all pedals of life who just want a Strava KOM.

"I have gotten to know the great people of this hobby, and I've been humbled by the faith they've placed in me. I pledge to be a better man tomorrow and will never, ever let you down.

"Let's be honest: We're living in the real world. This is nothing more than a distraction from the important issues we're facing today. We are not getting our cycle funding, we're less safe than we were eight years ago, and Downing Street is totally broken."

Top Bottom