Is Meths fuel ok on ferry to Spain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
U can understand them being cautious given the recent terror attacks all over Europe - but as you say vehicles don't seem to get too much attention and the scope for there being something bad in them is rather higher! We were checked at Le Havre last time and asked to open back of van - gendarme saw our bikes and we ended up have a nice bit of chat about cycling :smile:

RobinS

Veteran
On the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry this spring they were "tick box" checking cyclists - apparently they were supposed to check a pannier of at least 50% of cyclists. My wife and I with a full four pannier camping load were both selected for checking - but to make it easy they chose our bar bags to check!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst losing your meths or petrol would be a nuisance, quite apart from it being perfectly ok to carry 12 gallons of petrol plus a jerry can in your car, the thing that would bother me more is carrying a knife. Even in a car I've been asked if we had a knife, but fortunately I misheard and just said "no". Anyone camping, or for that matter, going to a rented holiday cottage, will need a knife, and I don't think they ask caravanners the same question. A decent knife being £50 or more it'd be more than annoying to have it confiscated (stolen)

RobinS

Veteran
Re knives - have been asked both while cycling and in a car. Replied honestly, in one case when going abroad to work cooking I had multiple large very sharp knives, all no problem.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Re knives - have been asked both while cycling and in a car. Replied honestly, in one case when going abroad to work cooking I had multiple large very sharp knives, all no problem.

That's good to know. Was worried about my good Sabbatier knife getting lifted and quite apart from cost not sure the newer ones are quite the same.

Brains

Legendary Member
So you are going to hijack across channel ferry with a kitchen knife ?
"Take me to Cuba "
......... maybe not ..............

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Leaving Dover once I was asked if I had a knife. I said no.
I had a bike with four panniers and an obvious tent on the rack. Who goes camping without a knife? UK Border Agency is unfit for purpose.

RobinS

Veteran
I can't see why they ask about knives, as when you say yes, sometimes they check - show them a roll of large very sharp knives and they say OK!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are they still X raying random panniers on touring cyclists?
Yes. Last Saturday boarding the overnight Brittany ferries Portsmouth to St Malo service I was on my bike with 4 panniers. Security told me to give them one of my panniers for x-ray, but left the choice of pannier up to me! Clearly just a paper exercise. No such checks on Condor ferries St Malo/Jersey in either direction.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have had bags x-rated going out from Portsmouth but never on the return.
In August the security man at Cherbourg had a mirror to check under vehicles but this was no use for a bike.

Top Bottom