Is my Bike Too Large??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quikanth

Regular
Hello All

new to this site, bought a 2nd hand bike around 2 weeks ago and have fell in love with the sport!

Already signed up for a 54 mile ride in the aid of Children Cancer. Been out training 3 night a weeks gradually building up from 6 to 20 miles and looking to go further. However experiencing a minor problem, i'm getting a pain under my right rib after riding an hour plus, i bought my bike seconf hand which is a Specialized Allez 2009 model in an XL (58.4) frame. I've look on the size guide for this bike and recommends 6ft + in height (183cm +), im 180cm tall.

Could this be the issue? I heard a shorter stem may improve stance? However i will post a stance position picture tonighth, however in the mean time any info would be appreciated.

Regards
Anth

Globalti

Legendary Member
It is a little on the large size but not massively, I expect some riders might even go up a size because they prefer it. I ride a 57 Specialized and I'm 182 cms so it's perfect for me.

I don't think this is the reason for the rib pain; that could just be a small muscular sprain. Try Neurofen or any other Ibuprofen anti-inflammatory for a couple of days.

As you become fitter and more experienced you become more discriminating about your bike and kit and you might begin to fancy something else. If I was you I wouldn't be in a hurry but I would plan to sell that bike and use the lolly towards something that suits your type of riding and is correctly sized.

OP
OP
Q

quikanth

Regular
Thanks for the advice, I'm not in a great hurry to part with cash. Im going to ride this bike through the winter hopefully and think about getting an upgrade next summer!

My seat is rather low in comparison to other members photos which would probably explain your theory on my ache and pains! Maybe I should just MTFU! haha

Thanks again!

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to a bike shop and get fitted - shorter stem, saddle positioning, even narrower bars may help :smile:

Zoiders

Yes, it's the wrong size.

The reach is just that bit beyond what is good for you, popping a shorter stem on will just make it steer too quickly.

Your seat is looking low as your frame is too big, you can get it fitted but that won't shrink the frame, a good shop will tell you as much as well.

Top Bottom