Is my Dawes Galaxy 531 st?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

northernwalker

Hi Folks,

New to the forum.

I am about to start cycle touring (again) and have dug out my Dawes Galaxy. I purchased this machine in 2000/2001 (I think) and had some custom wheels built on 36 hole Mavic T520 rims.

All appears in good shape but I noticed that there are no decals on the frame stating that the tubes are 531 st.

I recall that Dawes frame quality faltered when manufacturing went overseas and wondered if i'd got a genuine 531 frame or a 'copy'. Alos, dod the 531st frame have a lifetime guarantee?

Regards,

What size is the seat post? Is the frame lugged?

If a manufacturer has splashed out on 531 they are likely to want to brag about it by applying the sticker.

OP
OP
N

northernwalker

It is lugged...

It's a traditional shape rather than the more 'compact' version that I think is now availlable... hence the seat post is not long and the standover is high.

It's a big frame, too... the largest as i'm 6'6"

Agree re the bragging. Dawes seem happy ot plaster their decals all over it, but no Reynolds credit.

Seatpost size (diameter) is a good indicator. The external diameter of steel seat tubes is *always 28.6mm. Expensive tubing has a higher strength to weight ratio and is therefore lighter because it can be used in a thinner wall section. 27.2mm is the standard size for 531 (manganese-molybdinum alloy), 27mm for 501 (Reynolds chromium-molybdinum alloy), 26.8mm (Tange chromoly) and so on.

OP
OP
N

northernwalker

I've attached a couple of (poor-ish quality) shots. One shows the frame detail, though.

I've measured the seat post and it looks like its 531...:wacko:

simoncc

Your bike will be 531st. Dawes quality suffered before they went overseas for frames and picked up when they did. My 1997 Dawes Audax didn't have a 531 sticker on and plenty of the parts were not as specced - and the forks were out of true. The bike was a bit of a mess really and the shop told me that Dawes were having problems.

I bought a Dawes Ultra Galaxy in 2005 and it is a superb bike, but there were no 853 stickers on the frame. I emailed Dawes about this and they said they'd run out of the stickers but that they'd send me some. They never did.

jimboalee

It is my knowledge that Dawes Galaxy, Super Gal' and Ultra Gal' have always been 531 st. Dawes moved from Wharfdale Road in Tyseley to Tameside Drive in Castle Bromwich at about the time you mention. During the move, 531 frame building was subcontracted to framebuilders in the Birmingham and Coventry area, using Dawes own jigs. LA Cycles / Lee Cooper comes to mind. A Gal frame will be built in the West Midlands by hand, not on a Tig Jig in far flung flaces.

All other bikes, the Giro range, all MTBs, and kid's bikes are now built on imported frames from Taiwan.

If you are sore about not having the decals, I have some in my top drawer. You have just missed the Kidderminster Cycle Jumble (18th Oct). Genuine Reynolds decals by the dozen.

jimboalee

I had forgotten about the Audax model.

Dawes went through a sorry patch in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The factory in Wharfdale Road was repeatedly burgled. They had many retirements of experienced builders. Remember, this time is 55 years after the war finished and young lads in the late forties wanted to be bike builders. The explosion of the Birmingham motor trade caused many bike makers to go bust, but Dawes survived because they made good stuff. Even so, they couldn't attract apprentice framebuilders, so when the olduns retired, there was a need to have frames built elsewhere. Some subcontractors were a bit dodgy, and their reliance on the Dawes contract became their downfall.
I worked with a chap who was at Venom. There was really nothing they could do in competition with Taiwanese fabricated aluminium Columbus.

I bought a Dawes out of loyalty to old pals from Wharfdale Road. It’s the third Dawes bike I've had. No, I didn't have a Daintybelle.

jimboalee

I have just taken a stroll out to the bike sheds here at Land Rover. I know there is a sloping tube Super Gal. Its 853.

BTW, if your Gal is pre 1998, the wheels will have been hand built by a Mrs Jean Smith, the lady who taught me how to lace a three cross.

jimboalee said:
I have just taken a stroll out to the bike sheds here at Land Rover. I know there is a sloping tube Super Gal. Its 853.

BTW, if your Gal is pre 1998, the wheels will have been hand built by a Mrs Jean Smith, the lady who taught me how to lace a three cross.

OMG you're a legend.

LondonCommuter

my 2008 Dawes Galaxy has a "made in Taiwan" sticker under the bottom bracket. I thought about removing it but decided it was more honest to leave it where it was. I think they've all been made and assembled in Taiwan for some time. Dawes themselves can't even answer quite basic questions about their bikes so I assume they are just a brand these days; and a pretty good one at that as I'm very happy with my bike

Top Bottom