Is my rear mech knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My bike is a fairly tired Appollo CX10S 21 SPEED Hybrid with entry level Shimano Tourney derailleur.

I seem to be condtantly having to reindex my gears. Getting them to change smoothly from 7 to 1 is no problem but coming back down sometimes you have to change twice for the chain to move then it jumps across 2 gears.

The cassette is only a few months old I am thinking maybe the derailleur mech is tired.Does this seem likely?

I dont know how long I need to keep this bike running as I am hoping to get on cycle to work scheme and buy something with better quality bits.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sounds like cable stretch to me, perhaps?

Mr Pig

fossyant said:
New cables....lots of lube on the mech, and you'll be off.

Yip. Rear mechs can be very worn and still work perfectly. Although there may be a great deal of play in the assembly the cable/spring tension effectively holds the cage tight. Poor shifting is far more likely to be a result of sticking in either the cable or the mech itself.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks again for advice. I found time this morning .Used my new chain tool for the first time.Stripped degreased dried and re lubed chain ,mech and cable now seems to be all OK. :-)

Top Bottom