Is my shifter knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Having trouble getting my sora shifter to change to a bigger (easier ) cog.

Checked tension of cable,angle of derailler ,stops,lubed cables , mech etc.It upshifts ok but on the down shift i press down and most of the time it does not feel like the 1st click has taken the chain far enough, i have to push it slightly past the "click" to get it to change.Sometimes nothing happens at all and i have to re-shift to get it to move,and then trim with a click on the thumb changer.

getting annoyed as i spent a good hour last night getting it to work but on the road it will not comply

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sounds like you've checked everything I would've, but have you tried at least fiddling with the barrel adjuster? The twiddly thing just before the cable goes into the mech. Sounds like you need to increase the cable tension just a smidge - try unscrewing the adjuster one or two full turns and see if that makes a difference.

There's a good gears adjusting vid on bicycletutor.com that might help.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Yup 1st thing i checked :rolleyes:. The above is the best i have got it so far ,at the start of the week it would rattle away and hardly change at all.

gbb

Legendary Member
I guess if you've satisfied yourself the tension right etc etc...the shifter may well be shot.
I have a Sora shifter that occasionally misses a beat, give it another click and away it goes...mind, i only paid 50p for them off some numpty off a carboot sale :rolleyes::biggrin::thumbsup:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

How easy is a new shifter to fit?

Seen CRC do them for £30 , its a triple though and mines a double?( only need to change the RH shifter though ) .

Would LBS fit them?

rh100

Just an idea from a newbie: how old is the chain

I had similar problems on my hybrid with the rear mech - I would set it up perfect on the stand spinning the wheels and hand tensioning the cable, then by using the shifter. On the road though it was very sloppy, rattling and needing a slight push as you describe. Assumed cable needs changing.

However - had cause to fit a new cassette as the new wheel I bought came with a freehub - so therefore also changed the chain even though it measured for wear ok - now the shifting up and down is near perfect - havn't even replaced the cables yet.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

New chain and cassette ,replaced many a week ago , had problems with it since it was fitted ( well maybe i notice it more it has never been perfect as its a second hand bike ) .

gwhite

Über Member
cyberknight said:
Having trouble getting my sora shifter to change to a bigger (easier ) cog.

Checked tension of cable,angle of derailler ,stops,lubed cables , mech etc.It upshifts ok but on the down shift i press down and most of the time it does not feel like the 1st click has taken the chain far enough, i have to push it slightly past the "click" to get it to change.Sometimes nothing happens at all and i have to re-shift to get it to move,and then trim with a click on the thumb changer.

getting annoyed as i spent a good hour last night getting it to work but on the road it will not comply

Is your RD one of those which has the large sprocket as the default position (can't remember the name of these) rather than the usual one where the spring pulls towards the small sprocket? I ask as you first talk of changing to a larger cog but then talk of changing "down".
Whatever, if the problem is in changing to a larger cog then can I suggest that the problem may be over-tension and that you may be a whole click out. It's probably worth diconnecting the cable and starting again using the Parktool.com guide as a reference.

jpembroke

I have to double shift every time with my old STis - both directions. They are ancient mind.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Having played about with it in the shed it is shifting ok , just need to try it out on the road.....
Trouble is i can never hear the click or feel it very well when riding(maybe i should mark the handle some how ;) )

Seen CRC have sora shifters for £30

Top Bottom