Is spinning that important?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

looe

Is spinning 100 rpm when cycling that important really? Grabsch from Germany came 4th in World Championship Time Trial by weightlifting his bike around the course !!!!!! I guess he was on 70-80 rpm if that

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think Herr Grabsch is the exception that proves the rule !

Arsen Gere

Über Member
In the testing I have done, if your cadence is lower than your optimum speed your heart rate won't come up so you are probably not putting out your max power for the duration of the ride. For me it's around 94 rpm and I have read elsewhere 95rpm so the experiments I did fit with the guidelines.

You can prove this on a turbo trainer with a hear rate monitor over a series of tests; over time you build up a picture of what you can deliver at what rpm.

All the slow cadence blokes I have seen tend to be more chunky thicker set cyclists, a good guide is their wrist thickness. This gives an indication of how easy it would be for them to bulk up, put muscle on. Grabsch looks like one of this type.

brockers

All the slow cadence blokes I have seen tend to be more chunky thicker set cyclists, a good guide is their wrist thickness. This gives an indication of how easy it would be for them to bulk up, put muscle on. Grabsch looks like one of this type.

Christ. My optimum cadence must be about 130 then.

In the testing I have done, if your cadence is lower than your optimum speed your heart rate won't come up so you are probably not putting out your max power for the duration of the ride. For me it's around 94 rpm and I have read elsewhere 95rpm so the experiments I did fit with the guidelines.

You can prove this on a turbo trainer with a hear rate monitor over a series of tests; over time you build up a picture of what you can deliver at what rpm.

Sounds like a bloke's cadence depends on if they're in a relationship or not.:blush:

oldroadman

Veteran
Cadence is important and very personal. The important thing is to be able to relax when you need to (e.g. rolling along in a peloton) and use a suitable gear for chases/attacks, when you might dip into the red. Overall being "on top" of the gear is the most important. Having seen testers struggling to get what they believe is a big gear to make them faster (wrong in most cases), what really matters is speed. So for most people in a road race the cadence around 90/100 works, slightly less in a TT where a slightly bigger gear is used. Best Grabsch may have a lower cadence, but he always does, and it works for him. We all have to find the right one for us, and apply the knowledge to best effect.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
80 to 90 for me, always been more of a grinder. Spent 2 futile years of club cycling trying to spin faster as was the thinking at the time, I worked hard and got nowhere, when I returned to my natural cadence and a bigger gear I went like a train again. Am much more comfortable and effective riding at my natural rate.

frank9755

Cyclist
Graeme Obree broke the hour record with a cadence of (I think) 92, which was at least 10 lower than any other record breaker before or since.

Moser also did a record breaking ride with a similar cadence but it was not allowed to stand as he declined the drug test.

If you are strong enough to get the speed by pushing a lower gear, like Obree, or Moser with a bit of help, then you don't need to spin quite as fast!

Sounds like a bloke's cadence depends on if they're in a relationship or not.:blush:

Priceless
rofl1.gif

Top Bottom