Is steel going out of fashion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I noticed on my audax yesterday that a healthy percentage (perhaps even most) of bikes where either alu or carbon. The bikes of older vintage being matched by their riders ;)

Is steel still the deal? Or is it just a matter of time before it becomes an object of fond remembering?

Tbh, if I were in the market today for another audax bike then I would look very seriously at the Spec Roubaix.... not sure if that's a :blush: or a :thumbsup:

Zoiders

I don't think steel will vanish anytime soon.

Cyling is on the up, it's not that steel has become any less popular it's more a case that more people are trying more and more different events so you will see more ally and carbon on audax rides than you used to as that is what a majority of mass produced bikes are made from these days.

Audax could do with shedding the beardy image anyway.

zigzag

Veteran
my first audax bike frame was bought on the basis of "steel is real", "531c - great" and all that.. it was nice to ride, but i didn't like how frame flexed when pushed harder, so it was sold promptly after lel. alloy frame suits my riding style much better and is plenty comfortable. i would consider carbon frame if there was bigger selection that can accomodate full mudguards with good clearances.

OP
OP
Y

yello

But, yes, it's a reflection of cycling becoming more popular (in the UK) and the newer technology frames being more commonly available.

I must check on my next audax the number of beardies riding carbon fibre ;)

frank9755

Cyclist
In the UK you will also see a lot of titanium.

I think steel is going out of fashion. You can obviously make a perfectly good audax bike out of it, but there is more money in selling someone a bike made out of something else that may be a smidgeon lighter.

I wouldn't do long rides in the UK climate on something that didn't have clearances for at least 25mm tyres and proper mudguards. That rules out most carbon and aluminium racing bike frames but not all.

MrRidley

In the UK you will also see a lot of titanium.

I think steel is going out of fashion. You can obviously make a perfectly good audax bike out of it, but there is more money in selling someone a bike made out of something else that may be a smidgeon lighter.

I wouldn't do long rides in the UK climate on something that didn't have clearances for at least 25mm tyres and proper mudguards. That rules out most carbon and aluminium racing bike frames but not all.

But how many are left to choose from, a handfull at best.

frank9755

Cyclist
But how many are left to choose from, a handfull at best.

Not many at all. I know of two carbon options, from Hewitt (which I have) and Pearson.
In aluminium there are a few more (I have one of those too - a Halfords / Carrera Vanquish, which is not marketed as an Audax bike but has great clearances) and there are also titanium ones.

corshamjim

The last bike I bought - a Trek Pilot - is aluminium, but sounds like it's a tin can if you tap the down tube. I fitted a rear rack to it but in the process stripped the thread of the rather inadequate rack mounting point. Thankfully a beefier bolt seems to have gone in ok but it's put me off the more dainty bike frame materials. For me it'll be steel for the next one.

U

User482

These things are cyclical. Steel went out of fashion when carbon and aluminium first came on to the scene, then made a comeback amongst the retro crowd. It's probably tending back towards its natural equilibrium.

Meanwhile the pros and cons of the competing frame materials haven't changed.

GrasB

Veteran
Depends what you're going to consider 'proper' mudguards. I've found Crud Racer guards fitted close to the tyre seem to do a better job at keeping me dry than full SKS guards & there are a lot of road bikes out there that will take 25mm tyres & Racers.

Also I get the impression that for the last 5 years or so new steel frames are bought by those who want something bespoke, often they also want a bespoke custom frame as well which fits nicely into market for hand built on-off frames.

zigzag

Veteran
Depends what you're going to consider 'proper' mudguards. I've found Crud Racer guards fitted close to the tyre seem to do a better job at keeping me dry than full SKS guards & there are a lot of road bikes out there that will take 25mm tyres & Racers.

let me think.. should i replace my inferior proper mudguards with superior crud racers? :rolleyes:

no thanks! :thumbsup:

JayP

An issue with me is steerer tubes. I don't trust alloy steerers. The alternatives are carbon (expensive and means carbon fork) or steel with steel fork in steel frame. Ally steerers snap without warning. I have knowledge of several incidents involving riders suddenly finding their handlebars attached to fresh air.

Am I letting these get me paranoid? - I don't know. Are dodgy alloy steerers an issue? :unsure:

frank9755

Cyclist
An issue with me is steerer tubes. I don't trust alloy steerers. The alternatives are carbon (expensive and means carbon fork) or steel with steel fork in steel frame. Ally steerers snap without warning. I have knowledge of several incidents involving riders suddenly finding their handlebars attached to fresh air.

Am I letting these get me paranoid? - I don't know. Are dodgy alloy steerers an issue? :unsure:

There have been reports but not many and carbon forks with alloy steerers are now very common. Nothing is foolproof but it doesn't seem to happen that often.

frank9755

Cyclist

Sorry - I'd want full SKS or similar. I've ridden with too many people with those type of mudguards and they need constant fiddling to stop them rubbing and keep them catching some water! Congratulations if you have got yours adjusted and I hope they stay in place for you, and for the people you ride with.

An audax bike should really be able to take 28s and proper mudguards, not just 25s at a squeeze.

Top Bottom