Is the Specialized Allez Elite 2008 OK for a novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonesome_rider

Hi all,

My 1st post, so please be gentle with me :smile:

Over the years I have owned various bikes, nothing serious and sort of only go out when I can be bothered (in the mood for it). I think the most I have cycled in one day is around 50 miles.

Even though my current job has me walking nearly 40 miles per week.... it does nothing to sort out the love handles and that ever expanding lump knows a the belly :biggrin:

So I want to start going out on the bike again but try and maintain a more robust attitude towards this time. I struggle with it at times, hence the user name on here xx(

I currently own a Specialized Hardrock XC 2006. Not sure why I went down the MTB route, but I did. I don't actually do any major off road biking. I go along the canal sometimes, but mostly on normal roads. Whether that be back roads or main roads.

So I was thinking of probably selling this as its minty mint (like new), as I look after my things. Then treating myself to the Allez Elite 2008.

Reason why I picked this bike out of the hundreds at hand, was mailny the make and the fact I love the colour, as its the same as my MTB. All my cycling gear was purchased around these colurs (black+red).

The other leading factor is that my local bike shop only sells Specialized bikes. From the £300 kind to the over £3K kind. I know the guys there and get on well with them. Plus I can probably get some discount too, which always helps. With it being local, if I have any problems I can easily go and seethem and have things sorted out. Rather than but something mail order andh ave it all to sort out myself.

Quite a long winded 1st post I know, but I have tried to give as much detail/background as possible.

One thing I forgot to mettion is that I am not a serious biker. By that I mean I won't be doing any races/events. Its just me billy no mates out and about in the Yorkshire Dales where I live.

Looking forward to your replies.

Gazza.

Welcome to the forum lonesome_butnotfortoolongaroundhererider...

Others will know of this bike - I know nothing but if you feel like a chat get along to the CycleChat Café - it's on the right a little further down the road...:tongue:
Don't be a stranger.
:smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
First things first - DON'T make the same mistake you did with your MTB - have a look at the riding you do, what conditions you do it in, and what sort of bike you actually need.

If you're planning to ride in the rain, or when the roads are wet, a bike that can take mudguards is going to make things much more pleasant for you. If you need to carry stuff, a bike that can take a rear rack to mount panniers on may be what you need.

Think about the gearing too - if you have lots of hills, you might want a bike with a compact chainset (two slightly smaller front cogs than standard) or a triple chainset (three small cogs with a "granny" ring for grinding up hills). If where you are is mostly flat, you might want to go for higher gearing.

Most importantly ride a few, or at least sit on them and get a feel for the riding position - buy the one that you like that ticks off the "must haves" too.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Thanks for the replies so far.

I don't see me riding in the rain unless I am unlucky to be caught out in it :tongue:

Around where I live I can choose many a route, some have lots of hills, some have very few. But around where I live, if I go out into the sticks then its single track roads in places and plenty of hills.

On the other hand if I stick to the main 'A' roads, then the hills are nothing to worry about.

Going to the bike shop in a mo to see what's what. They know their stuff there, so it won't be liking asking a sales guy in Halfords :smile:

I like Specialized stuff + like I say, its a local shop and far easy to get anything sorted, than travelling miles or mail order.

Cheers,

Gazza.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
lonesome_rider said:
I like Specialized stuff + like I say, its a local shop and far easy to get anything sorted, than travelling miles or mail order.

I'm sure you'll find something to suit you - just be aware that little niggles become less and less so as you cover more distance - pick a bike that fits (the shop will help you with this) and where the riding position suits you.

Maz

Guru
Lucky man. I wish I had a Spesh Allez Elite (maybe my next bike). Have a ride of it and see if you like it.
I have the Spesh Sirrus Elite (flat bar equivalent?) and it's a great bike, light and responsive etc.

That cool as you can see I live in york I was wondering if you was near by but its cool.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome lonesome, The Ellite is a very good bike. As long as you know the limitations that the bike can do. i.e not suitable for off road trails, or rough canal paths, it is a road bike. Give one a test ride first to see if you like it.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Been to have a look today but did not have the model I was after in + they were busy, so did not get much of a chance for a comfortable chat.

With them being local they know the area and a good deal of routes around where I live. He did say that it was a very good bike for the sort of roads I would be going on. Also showed me another (can not remember the make) which had thicker tyres for off road too. But seeing as I am on the road more with the MTB than off it... it would pointless going down that route.

I might even keep my MTB (as I won't get that much for it 2nd hand) to go out on if its not that good a day. Then use the Elite for nice dry days etc.

Early days yet. Will go back to the shop tomorrow when I am passing and sit on the next model up/down (which they do have) to get some sort of idea.

Maz

Guru
lonesome_rider said:
Just a quick update. Going for a test ride on the next model down next week. If I like it and all goes well, my order will be placed for the Allez Elite :biggrin:
Go for it, man. Wish it were me.

postman

Legendary Member
I think you will be very happy on that.I think Bigtallflatbloke has that down as one of his choices and so do i.

Top Bottom