Is there a difference in brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Looking at the shimano r450 tiagra 57mm drop calipers and the r650 57mm drop calipers ultegra,for a new build which needs the 57mm drop and which will probably consist of ultegra or 105 groupset and was wondering if it is worth paying the extra

the r450 £22 and the r650 £52 from ribble a big discount on the normal prices of £44 and £80,what do you think guys is it worth going the distance,is there that much difference in the brakes,not too botheres with the weight.

Norm

I've swapped the (I think) Tektro dual pivot brakes on my Secteur Sport for a set of 105 brakes, which is not exactly the same but might be equivalent to your Tiagra > Ultegra options.

The difference is very noticeable, the 105s have much less flex and so give much greater certainty to the braking, both in terms of all-out power and in terms of just brushing the rims to modulate speed.

Whether the difference from Tiagra to Ultegra would be as noticeable, I'm not sure, but, for only £30 extra, I wouldn't even hesitate long enough to ask the question.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You must have been having fun playing spot the difference huh?

Shimano have been "marketing" practically identical components while charging vastly different prices for years. My favourite is this.

If braking performance is important to you imho you would be much better off spending part of the difference on better (e.g. Koolstop) pads.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
+ 1 ^^^^^^^^^^ Koolstops.

Also worn / poor cables can be an issue. Also check the brake lever is closing / opening freely

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Brakes seem to be like clip-in pedals - a free pair of calipers with every set of pads.

As the above have said - the stock pads are not the best so I would go for the Tiagra and then get the Koolstops.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Thanks for the replies guys nice to see different views.I am quite happy to pay the extra if it is justified,thats why its good to get different opinions

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Thanks for the replies guys nice to see different views.I am quite happy to pay the extra if it is justified,thats why its good to get different opinions

You will find that the better quality brakes are a bit smoother and more precise which make sense if you are a pro and riding 5 hours daily or descending down some mountain side.

I am perfectly happy with my middle of the range calipers given the non-pro nature of my rides.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Pete thanks for clarifying,I am an average Joe trying to build a quality bike at a fair price.I am happy to pay extra for stuff that works,but I am not wrapped up in bling or paying for stuff that is over the top.Basically a working class guy who likes quality at fair prices.

zigzag

Veteran
of all 57mm drop calipers my preference is shimano a550. i also have r450 which are good, but quick release and cable adjuster feel flimsy and the finish is not as nice as a550 or r650.

Top Bottom