Is there a reason why...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
...bikes like this are so cheap?

"It's crap" is not an answer. What would it just break? Weight is not a concern for me. Quality of parts I can understand, but sort of not at the same time, considering that if they were so awful then they'd be dangerous to ride, and thus (hopefully) not produced...
:evil:

col

Legendary Member
I think as long as these are used generally or not abused,other than maybe wearing out quicker,these are probably similar to what we used 30 years ago for knocking about and going all over,never seemed to have many problems back then,and they probably were heavy in comparison to todays bikes costing more.But if a real sports cyclist used one it probably wouldnt last long with the mileage they do daily.Im thinking of the halfords one is it the virtuoso?About 200 pounds,for my commute and use it would suffice id say?

Costs are made up of fixed and variable.

Fixed are things like research and design, tooling and setting up production facilities
Variable is the cost of materials and labour.
There are no fixed costs with this bike, its old technology which has already been paid for (partic the down tube gear levers)

How many spokes have those wheels got?

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
It's a Viking Giro D'Italia. I'm looking for something a bit more finessed than my current hybrid-y type thing (Ridgeback MX2), but do not want to or have the cash to splash, as it were.

EDIT: not sure how many spokes, but I suppose the answer is "a lot"

jasper

Radius said:
EDIT: not sure how many spokes, but I suppose the answer is "a lot"
WHEELS: Viking 700C 36 hole black double wall alloy rims with CNC sides, alloy quick release front hub and black spokes

Quite outstanding value for money really. However. The seat will be uncomfortable, the plastic pedals wont hold the toe-straps very well and may have wobbly axles, lots of cheap pedals do and they can hurt your knees. Tyres will be horrid and frame alignment may be out, particularly the rear drop-outs. These are all things which are easily resolved and if you hold on to the parts which you replace you can stick them back on when you come to sell it, holding on to your posh new saddle, pedals and tyres for the nice bike I hope you will end up buying.

The most important thing about any bike is how well it fits.

Dirtyhanz

Veteran
i bought a bike from them a dahon curve i did not check it when i pick it up took it straight home then went out for a ride on it. both wheels where so buckled they would not go round. it was hours trip to get it so i thought i would just take to local lbs to fix. back wheel had to be completley rebuilt to much cost ;)

Jonathan M

Everything has been specced to come from the box of bits marked 50p or less. But bikes like this have a role in cycling, buy one of these and get fit, get bitten by the bug and invariably a person will start to drift upwards in terms of bike ownership, but often the early bike will live on as a hack.

Equally though for every one of these bought, four will be ridden a couple of times then left to fester.

I hav a colleague who bough two (even cheaper) bikes from Argos... they came flat packed, and hence this in itself saves costs.

However there was a brake block missing..... so he phoned the nmber in the box who asked about his availability - their answer was to send a new bike, he would then open the box, take out a block, tell the driver the bike was incomplete and return the bike. They would then take the new one away!

So you are also not paying for any worthwhile backup!

Top Bottom