Is there such a beast as a folding Road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I dont mean a bromton etc...I mean a real road bike...and one that actually rides and looks like one when it is assembled? I'm thinking fold in half remove wheels throw in a big suitcase. :smile:

I saw one a while ago but I don't know if it was a prototype, it had a clever bracket to allow the frame to fold in half, I don't know how practical it is though, a full size folder. Dahon do a similar one. I've seen lots of others but they still look like a typical folder with drop bars.

Airnimal or Bike Friday are your best options. Bike Friday Pocket Rockets ride pretty much like a normal road bike and are used by quite a few Pro's and Phil Liggett as training bikes when travelling. I have one built to the same geometry as my full size road bike and apart from the faster turn in and the faster acceleration of the smaller wheels, the two ride pretty much identically.

Ozzeh

The Chameleon folds really well, allowing you to pack the frame down into a rucksack, the wheels into a bag and you can fly with it anywhere. They also offer a suitcase which converts to a trailer for touring. They ride beautifully too.

I have an Ultra which is Ultegra equipped and it flies... It's also, coincidentally, up for sale in the classifieds section! :smile:

The Chameleon folds really well, allowing you to pack the frame down into a rucksack, the wheels into a bag and you can fly with it anywhere. They also offer a suitcase which converts to a trailer for touring. They ride beautifully too.

I have an Ultra which is Ultegra equipped and it flies... It's also, coincidentally, up for sale in the classifieds section! :smile:

The only problem with the Airnimals is you are left with an unattached wheel when its folded. Some folk hang it on the pedals but its much less convenient dealing with something folded in two parts than one. Which is why, despite my usual desire to support British (I have a couple of Bromptons) I went for the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. Both are ungainly folded packages relative to a Brompton though.

Ozzeh

I was a bit worried about the unattached wheel before I bought the bike but it never actually caused me any issues other than grubby fingers. I'd fold for the train and tuck the wheel behind the bike out of the way.

Bicycle

I got hit by a car pulling out of a supermarket carrpark about a year ago. The driver failed to see me and swept out behind me, taking my rear wheel and my dignity as she went.

Until Argos in Bristol had fixed it for me, I was briefly the owner of a folded road bike.

Is that the same thing?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Another incarnation of the Ritchey joint thing is the Dahon Tournado. Someone (associated with a shop I suspect, based on other listings) is selling one on ebay at the moment (ID: 220885822482)

The problem of these Ritchey based bikes is that they are not really folders but "capable of being disassembled". If I wanted a drop bar folder I would turn my Dahon Jack into one. AFAIK most if not all recent 26" wheel Dahons are built and sized to take 700c rims with (long drop) caliper brakes - that certainly is the case with the Lockjaw'ed Cadenza I had (which I sold because I didn't like the Lockjaw) and the current Jack (which I think has a much more robust folding mechanism).

Darhon Tournado: http://www.dahon.com/bikes/2011/tournado

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
This is quick

not cheap:
http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=174107
174107_1.jpg

Top Bottom