Is this a good 'un? (sorry if wrong place!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SPHDS

Hi, as title says, sorry if this is in the wrong pigeon hole, but then I am blond!

Anyway, passed my cage test today (1st time too! WOOHOO!) I am thinking of getting myself a foldy bike to celebrate. (throw it in the boot for trips back from the pub!) Saw this on Ebay and was wondering it was any good, or AVOID AVOID AVOID!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-Bike-...8|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Yes I know it is very cheap and probably made from used pie tins, but anyone heard of them/know anything about them or think they are any good!?!

Cheers

Sam

PS Any brands I should look for/avoid (I am looking for cheap cheerful and fairly reliable not super special mega bike - a Mondeo rather than a GT40)

you are aware that you can be charged when riding a bike under the influence of alcohol and have points on your license as a result.

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Yep I know that, but ride home is mainly on towpaths, not roads, just takes a bit longer than in the car!

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Will probably do that most of the time, just be useful to have a bike that doesn't need dismantling to fit in the car if I choose to go to pub after work!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Pushing tin said:
you are aware that you can be charged when riding a bike under the influence of alcohol and have points on your license as a result.
No you can't sorry.

You can be charged and prosecuted for cycling whilst drunk, but you cannot get points on your driving licence for it.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Pushing tin said:

No you cannot.

yello

Anybody like to have a stab at answering the question? I'm afraid I don't know enough about such things to advise.

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Cheers Cubist and 4F, knew you could get charged, but wasn't sure about points,just think it is a tad safer for all if I don't drive home over the limit!

As for the quality of bike, I just want something that is fairly reliable - I have had cheapo (and also not so cheapo!) bikes that have fallen apart before my eyes - hubs that have collapsed, mechs with crumbling cogs, pedals that have fallen off or disintergrated!

can anyone help - what to look for or avoid brand wise (any hidden gems?)

Cheers

Sam

PS Thanks Yello, my thoughts exactly!

c2c

redredrobin
SPHDS said:
Hi, as title says, sorry if this is in the wrong pigeon hole, but then I am blond!

Anyway, passed my cage test today (1st time too! WOOHOO!) I am thinking of getting myself a foldy bike to celebrate. (throw it in the boot for trips back from the pub!) Saw this on Ebay and was wondering it was any good, or AVOID AVOID AVOID!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-Bike-...8|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Yes I know it is very cheap and probably made from used pie tins, but anyone heard of them/know anything about them or think they are any good!?!

Cheers

Sam

PS Any brands I should look for/avoid (I am looking for cheap cheerful and fairly reliable not super special mega bike - a Mondeo rather than a GT40)

hi. im not an expert on folders, but that little bike does look cheap... it all depends what you want really, if its just to , as you say, sling in the boot for riding home after a few stellas, then you cant really go wrong for £99. but, and here comes the rub, if you find the ole cycling bug bites ya, and you find you want to ride further and for longer then the £99 bargain can literally become a pain in the arse........!!! brompton, and dahon, are good quality makers of folders.....

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Cheers c2c, finally someone who read the question! Good point re. cheapness, 'spose you are right! Now to psyche up the courage to bite the bullet and buy it! As for the cycling bug, I have a great old Raleigh Granada that will still be my 'main bike' - have been cycling to and from work up to now on it! It is just it would have to be dismantled to fit in my little car!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pretty sure that's the same as Morrisons were selling last summer, in which case Landslide of this parish has one. The headset was made of cheese and didn't last long, but wasn't too spendy to replace. I think overall he thought it was OK.

c2c

redredrobin
SPHDS said:
Cheers c2c, finally someone who read the question! Good point re. cheapness, 'spose you are right! Now to psyche up the courage to bite the bullet and buy it! As for the cycling bug, I have a great old Raleigh Granada that will still be my 'main bike' - have been cycling to and from work up to now on it! It is just it would have to be dismantled to fit in my little car!

yeah go for it, £99 aint gonna break the bank, and its got such small wheels that if you have a slammer too many you aint got far to fall......congrats on passing the test, but keep on riding that bike to work or else those thunder thighs will go all flabby.....:biggrin:

OP
OP
S

SPHDS

Cheers guys! 'spose I'll go for it! As for cycling to work, will try, but is a bit of a slog - killer hill right at the end (not so good now I have a smaller cassette!) plus not so good in the wind or rain!

Top Bottom