Is this a scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

I had a call yesterday on my mobile from someone claiming to be with Cycling Plus magazine and wanting my address because I had recently entered a competition by text and all they had was my mobile number. I asked when I had entered this competition and was told it was about 6 weeks ago. This is untrue. I did enter a competition over a year ago. I was then asked if I read the magazine - I said yes and also confirmed I was not a subscriber. I was asked again for my address and when I asked why was told it was so they could contact me if I won the competition! I told them I wasn't about to hand out my address over the phone to someone in respect of information which was not true.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Maybe a scam, What have you won? I thought they should of said what the prize was. Have you got an email from them? Phone them back and find out who they are.

jay clock

Massive member
The easiest way is to ask for their number and to call back within a minute. Google the number first to see if it comes up. If not ring the main number for C+ and ask for the person.... job done and hopefully prize won!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a call once from a woman claiming to represent a music technology magazine that I subscribed to. She told me that I'd won one of their competitions and they wanted to confirm my address. Yeah, yeah thought I, but I gave her my address anyway. The next day, a courier knocked on my door and dropped off one of these...

k5000w.jpg

They were selling for about £1,800 at the time ;)!

Wolf04

ColinJ said:
I had a call once from a woman claiming to represent a music technology magazine that I subscribed to. She told me that I'd won one of their competitions and they wanted to confirm my address. Yeah, yeah thought I, but I gave her my address anyway. The next day, a courier knocked on my door and dropped off one of these...

k5000w.jpg

They were selling for about £1,800 at the time ;)!
Nice, have won two online competitions one from the BBC who rang up to confirm delivery address, two days later a signed copy of a Jools Holland CD arrived. Last month an Email to say I had won a competition in T3 magazine and could they have an address, two to three weeks later a large bag of Energiser battery products arrived (no not that sort of product) :blush:

notthebuzzard

Blackandblue, I work for Cycling Plus so drop me a private message with as much info as you have and I'll look into it for you. We don't run many compos in the mag – the last one was when we redesigned as far as I can remember, and I really should know!

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you ever suspect a scam report it to the company so they can warn others. my mum was scammed by someone claiming to to O2 mobile phone company, who she had her phone with.

the general rule is, if you haven't entered a competition and they say you are a winner, its a scam.

oxbob

I don't think it's a scam as such,your details have been sold to third party companies and they are just trying to get you to sign up to something or get more details to spam/junk mail you

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Someone representing Cycling Plus once phoned me up a month or so after I'd entered a competition, and I thought I was about to be told I'd won.

No such luck. They were using my details to ask me if I'd like to subscribe. A bit naughty as I'd made sure I'd selected the correct 'can we use your details or pass them on to other reputable companies' options so that they weren't supposed to use my details for anything other than the competition.....

Top Bottom