Is this bike safe ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnuld

Über Member
HI guys,

I came across this bike known as Cyclocross but its is without any breaks (I guess, its i fixed gear). How can I say it is safe to drive such a bike. 2nd, can I find such a bike in India (I am interested in buying it as long as you say it is safe):

r7txj5.jpg

Code:
Features

--- Pursuit fixie built with inspiration from the year aero ruled the LA Olympics.
— Custom-bend alloy track style aero handlebars
— Sugino Messenger crankset and Gold KMC Devil chain 1/2" x 1/8”
— Classic track style alloy toe clips with double leather straps
— Deep-dish 42mm rims, 20/24-spoke high flange hubs, flip-flop rear hub for 17T fixed and freewheel included, wheelset

color                White
size                  XS, S, M, L, XL
frame               ALUXX-Grade Aluminum
fork                   Chromolyly, Alloy steerer tube
handlebar          Alloy Cowhorn
stem                  Alloy 26.0
seatpost            Alloy, 27.2mm
saddle                Retro Road Leather w/Rivets
pedals                Caged w/ Clips
shifters               NA
derailleurs          NA
brakes                Alloy Dual Pivot
brake levers       Tektro RX 4.1, Aero
cassette             17T Fixed  or  Freewheel
chain                  KMC Devil 1/2 X 1/8, Gold
cranks                Sugio Messenger Alloy, 46T
bb                       Cartridge
rims                    Aero 42mm
hubs                Alloy high flange track style w / flip flop rear hub, 20/24H, Nutted
spokes             SAPIM Race, Double butted 14/15G
tires                  Michelin Lithion, 700x23

Attachments

• r7txj5.jpg
    r7txj5.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 32
The Giant Bowery is a well known fixed wheel bike from a reputable manufacturer. Not sure why you say there are no brakes as these are clearly listed in the spec.

Riding a fixed wheel bike is perfectly safe in Edinburgh, I can't comment on riding one in India, nor can I direct you to where you may aquire one.

Touche said:
The Giant Bowery is a well known fixed wheel bike from a reputable manufacturer. Not sure why you say there are no brakes as these are clearly listed in the spec.
Riding a fixed wheel bike is perfectly safe in Edinburgh, I can't comment on riding one in India, nor can I direct you to where you may aquire one.

They are, but there are no brakes on the bike in the picture. Not that I can see anyway. I rode a fixed wheel bike with one front brake only for a bit and it was fine, you just need to remember not to try and freewheel because the pedals will throw you off the bike. Otherwise, fixies are great fun and if you can find one in India, I think you should buy one. You can buy them with brakes, too.

Fixed gear are great, but not for everyone.

Why not have one made from a bike you already own to prove the theory?

Any old roadster type machine will do. Just remove the freewheel, attached a fixed cog and you're away.

normgow

Guru
Just remove the freewheel, attached a fixed cog and you're away.[/QUOTE]

A locking ring ring also may not be a bad idea. On a freewheel hub this would have to be one with a right hand thread, a bottom bracket locking ring (left hand side) should fit.
A specific fixed rear hub has provision for a left hand thread locking ring.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also, am I right in thinking that that's nothing like a cyclocross bike? I thought cyclocross bikes were more offroad...

I've never ridden a fixie, so I can't say much really, but I'd advise getting to try one before you buy - you might hate the fixed gear style of riding - no gears and no freewheeling. (I understand the attraction for those who do like it, but personally I'm not bothered enough to try it.)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The bike comes with a freewheel choice so presumably it will take brakes.I don't like the look of the wheels and alloy forks - if the roads in your region of India are anything like our roads then I would think that riding such a bike will be a pain with the vibration.

Randochap

Senior hunter
This is a bit of a jump from the MTB you were recently planning on buying isn't it?

Why not get something appropriate to the roads in your area; presumably a hybrid with relatively wide tyres, say up to 40mm? Wouldn't this make the most sense?

Weegie

Brandane said:
Is this not the WORLD WIDE web??

Don't be so sensitive - this is cyclechat.co.uk. If it were cyclechat.fr, would you expect a meaningful discussion on the finest LBS in Troon or Largs?

I'm sure rich is keen to help arnuld in any way he can, as are all of us. But there are certain questions that not only can we NOT answer effectively, we may actually harm arnuld's search for the right bike by giving him misleading info - we don't know anything about his locality or the shops and brands available to him.

OP
OP
arnuld

arnuld

Über Member
Weegie said:
..SNIP...
- we don't know anything about his locality or the shops and brands available to him.

Great news Weegie, I found an Indian biking forum. I even met some people who live in same city where I live and I have even chatted with them on phone. Heck, I even came across a Bicycling Club in my area.

Thanks to all the folks for help. folks have same passion of biking over here but the talk about bikes is entirely different.

Top Bottom