Is this helmet cam anygood????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chunky bloody thing.I tried it on my helmet (fnar fnar) but I found it too heavy.Plan to take it to Bangkok (fnar fnar)with me next time as it's better than nothing.I fitted it to the front fork when I have used it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
By the power of grayskull, I summon........

MAGNATOM!

ATC2000 - cheap, functional, good for handlebar mounting, too big and heavy for a helmet.

thomas has one of them I think, you could ask him. I've got the successor the ATC5K its a good rugged camera for the price (it doesn't handle sound or low light well but you get what you pay for) Although the ATC comes with a helmet mount I find my 5K too bulky for that and mount it on bars instead; the downside to it being bar mounted you can only really film in the direction the bike is facing.

I HAVE THE POWEEEERRRRRR!

Ahem:smile:.

Bollo hit the nail on the head. The video is ok, ish. What is your budget iGaz?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bollo said:
ATC2000 - cheap, functional, good for handlebar mounting, too big and heavy for a helmet.

I dunno. I wear (well, wore, I've got out of the habit) mine on my helmet. Mounted centrally it's not bad.

thomas

the tank engine
HLaB said:
thomas has one of them I think, you could ask him. I've got the successor the ATC5K its a good rugged camera for the price (it doesn't handle sound or low light well but you get what you pay for) Although the ATC comes with a helmet mount I find my 5K too bulky for that and mount it on bars instead; the downside to it being bar mounted you can only really film in the direction the bike is facing.

Yep, I've got the ATK2000. I got it because I'm a student and can't afford much more (total lie, student loans could have bought a really really expensive set up...but that's not really what the loan is meant to cover).

For the price it is a fantastic bit of kit. If you check out my youtube page, the newer videos I've encoded at a higher format before uploading onto youtube...hence why some of the older ones might be a little bit more pixalated. The raw footage is pretty reasonable and I've been quite impressed with it.

The ATK2000 falls down in low light and is rubbish at night. It'll pick up headlights and street lights and that's about it. It is a bit bulky and I've got it on my helmet and it doesn't bother me. I think the advantage there is drivers and other people can obviously see it so might not take so many chances.

The other problem with it is how much it can see. I believe the newer ATC models have a better lens (or something)...basically, when you turn your head with the ATC it won't capture as much as the newer models. This means at roundabouts, and junctions, if you look left the camera won't proove the road was clear...from seeing demos of the newer versions that seems to be improved. I would be tempted, if that is true, to pay a few quid more for one of the newer models.

I believe the newer models allow for bigger memory cards? The ATC only allows for a 2GB card, which is an hour of good quality, 1.5 of reasonable and apparently you can get 3 hours of footage - I'm just not brave enough to test that out :wacko:.

Definitly recommend getting some rechargable batteries with it and a good SD card. DO NOT buy you SD card from amazon marketplace or similar. I'd highly recommend only buying it from the main site (eg, amazon.com, or play.com). I had sooo many problems with receiving fake SD cards from marketplace and such - just to save a pound here and there.

At some stage I will do a video review of the ATC and my experiences with it. Mainly because I'd of really liked a video review when I was buying it and I promised myself that I would do one.

If you want you can PM me your email address and I'll take some snipits of footage and email you them. The footage is quite large (probably a min of 10mb-20mb) and I won't be able to do it till I'm back from UNI (so this weekend). The youtube stuff should give you a pretty good idea though.

So after all that, I'd say go for it...either with that one, or one of the slightly upgraded models. I wouldn't commute or do a short ride by myself without it!

mattybain

thomas said:
I believe the newer models allow for bigger memory cards? The ATC only allows for a 2GB card, which is an hour of good quality, 1.5 of reasonable and apparently you can get 3 hours of footage - I'm just not brave enough to test that out :blush:.

I have the ATC3K and use it with a 8gb SDHC card, although the timer gets confused this can get 4 hours of best quality footage.

However I wouldnt put this on my helmet as IMO it is way to bulky.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The atc2k can be hacked (there are fan sites on this) and a dogcamsports lens can be added to improve the angle of view for about 20 quid iirc. The audio is terrible, it distorts horrifically, and as said it will not do low light.

For £200 you can get a wired system from dogcamsports and action cameras that will do reasonable sound, a better picture and much better low light shooting.

What I will say is that the camera wont see what the eyes see. They wont always pick up exactly where you're looking or see whats behind or directly on your side. If you're going to get the atc2k then get it secondhand or for a much better price than that. :biggrin:

iGaz said:
Well I bought this one. Seem to get it at a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130297796884

I know its a bit bulky, but I want it to act as a deterant as well as videoing short rides etc, and the other half says as its waterproof, can use it down the beach with our daughter this "summer".

I'll sign up to You Tube and stick some vids up when I get chance.

Got one of them myself

On The +ve side
Value for money
Fairly Indestructible
Water Resistant
Easy To Use
Pretty Good Video Quality For The Money (ie sub £100)
Great “Starter” Camera
Lots Of Fittings In The Box – Bars, Helmet ETC

On the –ve side
Only really usable in daytime
Silly frame rate setting (can’t seem to film at 25fps evon though PAL???)
Sound recording is absolutely pants

Good luck and enjoy…

Tynan

Veteran
I meant to get one a year or so ago and more

but once I'd seen the pov that's all I want, doubtles that's out of date now and something better has arrived

I had the money for one four months ago, for about 12 hours, someone had an urgent tax bill to pay, not me, hmpf

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Got one of them myself

On The +ve side
Value for money
Fairly Indestructible
Water Resistant
Easy To Use
Pretty Good Video Quality For The Money (ie sub £100)
Great “Starter” Camera
Lots Of Fittings In The Box – Bars, Helmet ETC

On the –ve side
Only really usable in daytime
Silly frame rate setting (can’t seem to film at 25fps evon though PAL???)
Sound recording is absolutely pants

Good luck and enjoy…

I'd agree with that. Quirky is the word, and for that it should become a classic imho.

I did say to Nikon UK that I thought this was a market they should get into as they have a lot of know how in the lens quality areas. They could make a sportscam that would have some amazing strengths I'd reckon.

Top Bottom