Is this suitable for a fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there, I have the chance of gettng an old Peugeot Aubisque frame which although twenty years old is in really good nick. Would this be a suitable frame to convert into a fixed. I have toyed with the idea of going this way for a while. Your opinions please.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you like the frame it is probably ideal as it will should have 120mm dropouts.

Zoiders

Smokin Joe said:
If you like the frame it is probably ideal as it will should have 120mm dropouts.
126mm!

How many times!

You stick a 120 hub in and scrunch it down tight so the frame cold sets, in fact if the bike is only 20 years old - which places it in 1988 - I would bet its got modern spacing 130mm drop outs

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Zoiders said:
126mm!

How many times!

You stick a 120 hub in and scrunch it down tight so the frame cold sets, in fact if the bike is only 20 years old - which places it in 1988 - I would bet its got modern spacing 130mm drop outs
I bow to you on 126mm instead of 120, but I don't think 130mm came out till a bit later than 1988.

skwerl

hubgearfreak said:
are you suggesting that you assemble it stressed and hope it settles itself down?;)

of course. it's a tried and tested technique. it's only 3mm either side. it'll unlikely ever settle to 120mm so will just need a bit of a squeeze to get the wheel in

bobajobrob

It's fine to put a 120mm hub in a 126mm OLN steel frame. I've done it and so have lots of other people. I doubt it will "cold set" (i.e. bend) the frame at all, it will just spring back to 126mm when you remove the wheel.

skwerl said:
it's only 3mm either side.

Quite.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
that's what i thought, so why would they say it wasn't a good idea?

bobajobrob

From Sheldon Brown:
In general, you can safely go up one size in spacing this way, just springing the frame apart. I can't give you an absolute guarantee that this won't cause damage, but the odds are very much in your favor.
I think that's about as close to saying it's OK we'll get.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
that's an imcomplete quote, as you know

i've highlighted the parts that suggest it should be done

Do You Need To Permanently Spread Your Frame?

Ideally, the frame spacing should exactly match the hub spacing. This makes for easiest wheel replacement. In practice, however, there's a fair amount of latitude in fit. In fact, when the first 130 mm 8-speed hubs were introduced, they had locknuts with beveled sides, so that you could "spring" apart the rear triangle of a frame made for the then-standard 126 mm spacing.

In general, you can safely go up one size in spacing this way, just springing the frame apart. I can't give you an absolute guarantee that this won't cause damage, but the odds are very much in your favor.

If, however, you want to do it right, and your frame is steel, cold setting is the better way to go.

If you're going more than one size, say from 120 to 130, or from 126 to 135, you should definitely cold set the frame.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Further to my earlier post, what gearing would you suggest. I thought I might try a 44/13 or maybe a 14. Would that be too high a gear?

Top Bottom