...is worth a bird in the bush.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My bush needs a trim. :biggrin: Well, the hedges in my garden, really. Didn't get round to doing them early in the season, what with the cold/wet and all that, but now they're a bit unruly, but there's a serious amount of nesting activity going on, and I wouldn't want to disturb the little blighters... can anyone tell me when it might be safe (for the birds' sake) to get the hedge trimmers out? :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
After they've fledged!
Also after the shrubs have flowered in general.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Our Blackbirds are on their second lot know - they can sometimes go for a third if they are not too nackered so it will be July in order to be safe.

If you have some hand-shears then a gentle trim of the green new growth now would be fine as it doesn't disturb them greatly (try not to expose any nest to the sun).

Norm

In general, I wouldn't be doing too much cutting at this time of year anyway. Leave them to go native for a few months. :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
threebikesmcginty said:
If it's a petrol hedge trimmer, Sunday morning nice and early is a good time xx(

A man after my own heart. I'm up at six and the neighbours who were partying until 3.00 a.m. have got to get up some time. :sad:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
ChrisKH said:
A man after my own heart. I'm up at six and the neighbours who were partying until 3.00 a.m. have got to get up some time. :tongue:

I always find that intensive Flymo strimmer use against their fence when they're in the garden entertaining is excellent payback too :tongue:

Top Bottom