It could only happen to me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...at least that's what crackle would say! ;)

Cycling into work this morning the roads were nice and quiet (school holidays). Coming down from Milngavie (bet you'll pronounce this wrong!) towards Anniesland, there is a cycle lane at the side. I ignore it. it's one of those lanes that has lots of loose chip in it, weaves in and out around parked cars and takes your right in front of junctions. Best avoided if traveling anything above 10mph. (best avoided full stop to be honest)

A car goes past, a jag, giving me plenty of room, but once past proceeds to pull over to the cycle lane and continues driving in the lane right at the side. Very strange, I thinks. It soon disappears over a hill. A little further down the road and I see the car stopped at the end of the lane and the driver is getting out and flagging me down. Oh dear, thinks me. He was in the lane suggesting that is where I should be. My curiosity gets the better of me and I slow down and stop. His first words....

Jag Driver: Excuse me (he was politely spoken) can I ask why you weren't using the cycle lane?

My hackles are raised now! I start describing why I avoid the lanes, waiting for the counter arguments......they didn't arrive. It turns out this gentleman (who has asked to remain anonymous, thus no video) has 'connections' in the local council and was genuinely interested as to why I wasn't using the lane. He used to cycle himself and agrees that the road was safer before the lane was there. He wanted to hear my opinion! ;)

After a bit of chatting (I ended up late for work!) he passed on his details and we have already been in contact via e-mail. He will be keeping me in the loop with his ongoing discussions about cycle infrastructure in the area! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It could only happen to me! :biggrin:

Armegatron

Good work :biggrin: Im getting frustrated with people shouting abuse along the lines of "get in the cycle lane" without hanging around for a proper chat about it.

Hopefully this bloke you chatted to can pull some strings ey ;)

Coco

Which Council? If its Glasgow, I'm sure we can give him plenty of opinions on the cycle lanes ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Coco said:
Which Council? If its Glasgow, I'm sure we can give him plenty of opinions on the cycle lanes ;)

No. East Dunbartonshire. I've got out of the hell hole that is Glasgow.....;):smile:

thomas

the tank engine
Sounds good! ;) Shame more people just don't ask why we're doing something, rather than just getting annoyed at it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

ianrauk said:
Cyclelane Schmyclelane..... get rid of the lot of them...that's the best suggestion

I used to think like that, and in general still do, but I can see how, the odd WELL DESIGNED cycle lane in the right place could encourage more newbie cyclists on the roads. Safety in numbers.....

magnatom said:
...at least that's what crackle would say! :smile:

Cycling into work this morning the roads were nice and quiet (school holidays). Coming down from Milngavie (bet you'll pronounce this wrong!) towards Anniesland, there is a cycle lane at the side. I ignore it. it's one of those lanes that has lots of loose chip in it, weaves in and out around parked cars and takes your right in front of junctions. Best avoided if traveling anything above 10mph. (best avoided full stop to be honest)

A car goes past, a jag, giving me plenty of room, but once past proceeds to pull over to the cycle lane and continues driving in the lane right at the side. Very strange, I thinks. It soon disappears over a hill. A little further down the road and I see the car stopped at the end of the lane and the driver is getting out and flagging me down. Oh dear, thinks me. He was in the lane suggesting that is where I should be. My curiosity gets the better of me and I slow down and stop. His first words....

Jag Driver: Excuse me (he was politely spoken) can I ask why you weren't using the cycle lane?

My hackles are raised now! I start describing why I avoid the lanes, waiting for the counter arguments......they didn't arrive. It turns out this gentleman (who has asked to remain anonymous, thus no video) has 'connections' in the local council and was genuinely interested as to why I wasn't using the lane. He used to cycle himself and agrees that the road was safer before the lane was there. He wanted to hear my opinion! ;)

After a bit of chatting (I ended up late for work!) he passed on his details and we have already been in contact via e-mail. He will be keeping me in the loop with his ongoing discussions about cycle infrastructure in the area! :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

It could only happen to me! :biggrin:
Milnguy I think

Top Bottom