It may be faster in the wet, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I had similar experiences this morning. The usual 'yes it's a dual carriage way and the outside lane is free but hey, I want to get up close and personal to you' fools seemed to have bred overnight.

Also had a double decker get right up my arse because I used *his* bus lane. Awwww didums. It is a shared lane BTW.

Alcdrew

Had nothing but a nice trip to day. A couple of nice people stopped to let me through at a couple of pinch points. Apart from the horrible weather which meant I had to wear my water proofs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I found that after two weeks of lovely dry roads they suddenly seemed very slippy and brakes had turned to jelly.

Hybrid Theory

First time riding in the wet yesterday, and i found the experience not as bad as i thought it would be.
Today was cool and refreshing with a nice, empty cycle way through Portbury docks.

Maz

Guru
Absolutely flying in this morning. Most def faster on wet roads.
What did the biker say to you, MrPaul?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Had a driver in a big estate be about 3 inches from my back wheel while i was roll to traffic lights, which were on red! I stopped and there was room for a car infront and the guy was moaning because of this. I decided to tell him how far he was behind and rolled off slowly, as the cars which were behind him came past in the other lane. No real point in it at all.;)
Had this happen a few times now. Even had a 7.5t van brake hard because he couldnt get past, and took it bad me shouting Oi at hm, so decided to point when i should be and come past close.
No rain though, its still nice and dry here, but there are alot of black clouds here.

mootaineer

Maz said:
Absolutely flying in this morning. Most def faster on wet roads.
What did the biker say to you, MrPaul?

This is interesting.
I've never associated wet weather with riding faster before...although I occasionally find it a bit easier to ride in traffic because everyone tends to drive more gingerly.

So...how does wet weather make riding faster??? ;)

PrettyboyTim

I've heard it said that it reduces the rolling resistance, but I would have thought that would have been countered by the energy lost in throwing all that water about...

Tynan

Veteran
always expect the roads to be greasy after a prolonged dry period, there's all sorts of stuff in the road that builds up until it gets wet again

Maz

Guru
mootaineer said:
So...how does wet weather make riding faster??? :rolleyes:
Not raining, but wet roads from earlier rain.
I reckon it's to do with some funky deal going down which results in less friction between tyre and tarmac.

mootaineer

PrettyboyTim said:
I've heard it said that it reduces the rolling resistance, but I would have thought that would have been countered by the energy lost in throwing all that water about...

Hmmm...that's what I would have thought too.
I can't work it out...and don't have the evidence as I've never really timed myself.
In actual fact it's probably fruitless doing any timings over a commute because there are so many variables! :blush:

historyman

why have you people got wet roads? Move to Merseyside, it was sunny all day today. Only person trying to carve me up was another cyclist. When at a red-light, said cyclist notices pedestrian walkways are green so goes up left on the pavement, acrross the walkway, on the pavement, back up on the road, like that doesn't count as RLJ-ing.

mootaineer

Tynan said:
always expect the roads to be greasy after a prolonged dry period, there's all sorts of stuff in the road that builds up until it gets wet again

Definitely...especially if it's just a light drizzle after a prolonged dry period.
I do find that after it's been sloshing it down (possibly for days rather than hours), the grip levels are quite good again.

mootaineer

Maz said:
Not raining, but wet roads from earlier rain.
I reckon it's to do with some funky deal going down which results in less friction between tyre and tarmac.

"funky deal"
Ha. I like your "scientific" explanation :ohmy:.
But I do like for there to be some mysteries left in life to make life exciting :blush:.

Top Bottom