It was thirty years ago today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
...that "Dallas" first hit the screens in the UK.

What a series! JR Ewing became my all time hero, a man who recognised integrety for what it really is, an inconvenience that gets in the way of success.

They don't make 'em like that anymore!

I like to think that me and me brother were among the first to recognise that Dallas was not to be taken seriously. We were watching it - sometime in late 78 - when Bobby and JR had one of their regular bustups, and as they squared up JR said 'Hey. You gonna punch me up, Bobby?'
This became a bit of saying between me and Mark.
Okay, maybe you had to be there, but we found it amusing.:biggrin:

And as for 'Who shot JR' in 1980...
I always reckoned it was Raoul, the butler. Think about it. Every week he would serve up a sumptuous breakfast on the verandah of Southfork, only for JR to storm off without eating a thing, in the aftermath of another row with Sue Ellen.
I rest my case.

Melvil

Tony Bell said:
And as for 'Who shot JR' in 1980...
I always reckoned it was Raoul, the butler. Think about it. Every week he would serve up a sumptuous breakfast on the verandah of Southfork, only for JR to storm off without eating a thing, in the aftermath of another row with Sue Ellen.
I rest my case.

You may have a point!

Keith Oates

Janner
Dallas wasn't really that good, it only became popular becuase Terry Wogan used to plug it every day on his radio show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Keith Oates said:
Dallas wasn't really that good, it only became popular becuase Terry Wogan used to plug it every day on his radio show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adverts on the bbc? Whatever next? :blush:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ISTR that when it first came out it was a twice a week half hour show on weekdays. It morphed into an hour of prime time Saturday evening soon.

Renard

Smokin Joe said:
Naw, it was a Saturday show.

Mind you, I see you are from Avondale, wherever that is. Did you have TV there in the seventies and eighties, or even electricity?

No offence mind, I just wondered. :biggrin:

We even had flushing toilets! :biggrin:

FWIW I still think it was a weekday (circa 1981) and when it began to get popular (as Keith says after TW plugged it mercilessly) it might have been moved to Saturdays. Not that it really matters :ohmy:

Top Bottom