I've finally seen "Atonement"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
While passing through Heathrow I treated myself to four DVDs. So far I've watched Atonement and Rise of the Footsoldier.

Atonement is a good bit of serious cinema which I enjoyed, although I've heard some complaints that it's a bit difficult to follow, which might be the case if you were very drunk while watching or kept nipping out to make a cup of tea and so missed bits. That said, I'm getting sick of the sight of Keira Knightley even if she is in wet underwear. She seems to be in everything these days.

The other film was very violent and even a bit disturbing to think that people like that live among us, but well made and also utimately thought provoking.

That's because you're seeing Keira nightly Andy...:biggrin:

Is she blonde or brunette? :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
They both sound like ones to put on the list!

Bit more low brow for me this weekend, we watched Hostel on Friday night which I had been warned against watching die to the amount of gore in it, but it is actually hilarious! :biggrin: And the Fantastic Four on Saturday which was very entertaining if you like Marvel-based films, especially on a large screen.

Melvil

Watched American History X at the weekend as it was on special offer (£3 at Fopp). Very interesting indeed, though not exactly a happy film.

Tetedelacourse

Didn't like Atonement at all; long and drawn out and nothing new.

I recently joined Amazon online rental so we've been working our way through some "classics". Best so far have been Casablanca, Rear Window and Vertigo. Citizen Kane is tonight.

Worth watching but not mind-blowing was North by Northwest and The Third Man. The 39 Steps was amusing.

Amongst all this we got I am Legend (the remake) and it was atrocious.

Any other recommendations? Any big hitters like Casablanca?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
TDeLC - I'd recommend 12 Angry Men. Very slow but well acted and a decent (if simple) storyline.

I hated Citizen Kane - one of the most boring films I have ever seen... but each to their own, hope you ejoy it more. I have absolutely no idea why it is regarded as a masterpiece/classic... perhaps I was not in the right mood for it.

To Kill a Mocking Bird is also pretty good - Gregory Peck is excellent in it, as is (briefly) a young Robert Duvall.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not seen Atonement, but a quick Google search "reveals" a nice wetness picture that should also be SFW...

atonement.jpg

Couldn't swear to what colour hair she is naturally... but I'll continue to look to see if it becomes any clearer... :biggrin:;)

Melvil

Sh4rkyBloke said:
TDeLC - I'd recommend 12 Angry Men. Very slow but well acted and a decent (if simple) storyline.

I hated Citizen Kane - one of the most boring films I have ever seen... but each to their own, hope you ejoy it more. I have absolutely no idea why it is regarded as a masterpiece/classic... perhaps I was not in the right mood for it.

To Kill a Mocking Bird is also pretty good - Gregory Peck is excellent in it, as is (briefly) a young Robert Duvall.

12 Angry Men seconded. Great acting and great photography too. You can feel the tension.

SamNichols

Keira Knightley is pointless.
to Kill a mocking bird is definitely one of the better novel-film transitions, but is still slightly blocked by the fact that one's so familiar with the original source text: the film doesn't quite stand up in comparison, although that may just be my opinion.

I am currently going through a Werner Herzog phase, and haven't yet quite seen what all the fuss is about.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No idea. I blame the fuel crisis and Global Warming for all these Tree Huggers joining us staunch cyclists!* :ohmy:;)

* Isn't approx 50 miles a week classed as 'staunch'?? :smile:

Top Bottom