I've heard of a greengrocers' apostrophe..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

dunno, presume it's to highlight that they're not adverse to washing a van etc.

always bemused by the hand car washes using hosepipes.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I would've done, only it was 5:50 am when I saw it.

I've been lazing around so much lately I couldn't sleep. Went riding instead, then slept after.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
strictly speaking, it would imply that they wash things that are claiming to be cars, but which in reality aren't (for, by example, people who take their bike in and say "it's a car, will you wash it?").

yello

I agree with the above interpretation. They're quotes rather than apostrophes which is, strictly speaking, incorrect since they're not actually quoting anyone but so as not to be anal and to consider what is likely to be meant, I'd say alecs... is about right. They'll wash whatever someone says is a car.

I think it is called Scare Quotes in this context. Where you put doubt in the word you use by quoting it rather than saying it.

yello said:
I agree with the above interpretation. They're quotes rather than apostrophes which is, strictly speaking, incorrect since they're not actually quoting anyone but so as not to be anal and to consider what is likely to be meant, I'd say alecs... is about right. They'll wash whatever someone says is a car.

Or more likely, they think that quote marks are for emphasising things, a bit like underlining. Cos they're dim.

Top Bottom